Raising a Family
Get writing ideas and topics with the Genealogy.com Biography Assistant
Did he/she have children of his/her own? If so, how did he/she raise them? If not, why didn't he/she ever have kids? Choosing this Topic lets you describe his/her family life.
Did he/she not have his/her own children?
- For what reasons did he/she not have children?
- Did he/she like children? Did he/she enjoy being around other people's children?
- What did he/she like most about not having children? Did he/she enjoy the freedom?
- What did he/she like least about not having children? Did he/she ever feel lonely? Later in life, did he/she wish he/she had grandchildren?
Did he/she have children of his/her own to raise?
- Did he/she start raising a family when he/she had planned to? Did it come later or sooner in life than he/she expected?
- Did he/she raise his/her children alone or with someone? Was there a marriage, divorce, or death that ever changed this?
- Where did he/she live during this time? Did he/she think it was a good area to raise a family? Why or why not?
- Did his/her family move around very much or did they reside in the same area for a long time? Was this by choice?
- How did he/she provide for his/her family? Was it hard to make ends meet or were they well off?
- Were there any special measures he/she took in raising his/her family? Did he/she have ways of ensuring their safety or well being?
- How did he/she determine what rules his/her family should abide by? Were they effective? Did they change as time went on? How? Did they stem from the way he/she was raised?
- Did he/she and other family members agree on how children should be raised? If not, how did it work out?
- What day-to-day activities did he/she do with his/her children? Was he/she with them constantly or did he/she work during this time?
- Did his/her child or children go to nursery school or preschool? What influenced his/her decision to enroll them? Was he/she happy with his/her decision? Was it hard on him to see his/her child first go to school?
- What values did he/she try to instill in his/her children? Did he/she succeed?
- Did he/she take his/her family on any special trips? Where did they go? Did they enjoy spending this time together?
- Was his/her family close or distant? Did his/her children confide in him or did they keep secrets?
- What difficult issues did he/she encounter while raising a family? Performance in school, dating and sex, going to college, alcohol and drugs, or getting married? Did they ever have arguments about these things?
- Did any of his/her children go away to college or the service? What emotions did he/she go through during this time?
- Under what circumstances did his/her child or children leave home? Was he/she happy or sad to see them go? Did their relationship get better or worse after this?
- After his/her children had grown, what did he/she think was the best part about raising a family?