Get writing ideas and topics with the Genealogy.com Biography Assistant
What was he/she doing during the Prohibition Era? Was he/she a strict prohibitionist or a free-thinking flapper? To narrate his/her experiences from and thoughts about this unique period in time, select this Topic.
America's experiment with Prohibition began in January of 1920. Did Prohibition affect him or his/her family?
- Prohibition was declared on January 17, 1920, how did he/she and others react? Did it affect a business that he/she had? Did they think that alcohol consumption was something the government should control?
- Did he/she belong to a temperance society or association that worked for the passage of this amendment? What part did he/she play in the activities of the society?
- Did his/her family and friends comply with the law? Why or why not? What types of people were on each side of the issue? If they didn't comply with the law, what did they do? Go to a speak-easy where they could get liquor? Make their own liquor?
- At the time, did he/she believe Prohibition made people want to drink more since it was against the law? Was this something daring or dangerous to do amongst his/her friends?
- Al Capone was a famous gangster in this era. Was he/she afraid of him or other gangsters who were involved with illegal liquor? Did he/she think that Prohibition gave them more power?
- During the Prohibition Era, many changes took place in society. For example, younger women changed their style of dress, opting for short skirts, makeup, and bobbed hair. What did he/she think of this shift in tastes?
- The 1920's are also known as the Age of Jazz. Was this the kind of music that he/she listened to and danced to? If so, who were his/her favorite musicians of the time?
- The law prohibiting alcohol was repealed in 1933 by President Roosevelt. Was this a good idea in his/her opinion? Was he/she relieved? Why or why not?