The Energy Crisis
Get writing ideas and topics with the Genealogy.com Biography Assistant
How was he/she affected by the OPEC Oil Embargo against the U.S.? From gas lines to unemployment, people felt the oil crunch in many different ways. Picking this Topic lets you describe his/her experiences.
In the 1970's the U.S. became the object of an OPEC oil embargo. Did he/she feel that the energy crisis was an important topic?
- U.S. support for Israel in the Arab-Israeli War became problematic in the early 1970's. To decrease U.S. support for Israel, Arab countries organized an oil embargo against the U.S. Did he/she think that the U.S. should have been involved in the Arab-Israeli conflict?
- OPEC cut off U.S. oil supplies for five months, reducing its availability to consumers. Did he/she have to wait in long lines for gas during this time? Could he/she only get gas on certain days? What did he/she pay for a gallon of gas?
- Was the impact of the oil embargo surprising to him? Did he/she realize that the U.S. imported such a large percentage of its oil supply?
- In 1972, the United States used 30 percent of all the oil produced in the world, and demand was increasing rapidly. Did this worry him? Did he/she think that the U.S. should develop other energy sources such as solar, wind, or nuclear power? Did he/she think of these as viable alternatives to oil?
- Did the oil embargo raise his/her consciousness about conserving energy? In what ways did he/she try to cut down on his/her energy use? Did he/she use his/her thermostat less or buy a small car?
- How did the oil embargo make him feel about the United States as a world power? Did it seem as if oil-exporting countries had found the United State's weakness? Did he/she feel more vulnerable as a resident of the U.S.?