U.S. Raid on Libya
Get writing ideas and topics with the Genealogy.com Biography Assistant
The U.S. alleged that Libya sponsored terrorist attacks on American citizens. What did he/she think the U.S. should do about this? Choose this Topic to outline how U.S. experiences with Libya may have influenced him/her.
Was the U.S. raid on Libya in 1986 a significant event for him?
- Why was he/she interested in the raid on Libya? Did he/she or someone he/she knew take part in the raid? Was he/she interested in that part of the world?
- The U.S. alleged that Libya sponsored terrorist attacks on American citizens at the Rome and Vienna airports on December 27, 1985--a charge Libya denied. What was his/her reaction to those charges and their denial? Whom did he/she believe?
- Was he/she living or traveling on that side of the world during this time? How did it affect him? Was he/she afraid to travel due to the terrorist attacks?
- The U.S. government decided to place sanctions on the Qaddafi regime in an attempt to ensure the safety of Americans living in Libya. What was his/her opinion of the sanctions? Did he/she think they would be effective?
- The U.S. later retaliated against the alleged Libyan bombings in Berlin by conducting bombing raids on targets in Tripoli and Benghazi. What was his/her first reaction to the news of the bombings? Did he/she support this decision? Why or why not?
- Was anyone he/she knew injured or killed in the bombings? What was the situation? Were they civilians? Were they in the military?
- After the crisis, it remained to be seen whether the U.S. approach to Libya had succeeded in curbing terrorism. What was his/her opinion on this? Did he/she think the U.S. had made progress? Was it worth the price?
Did he/she take part in the U.S. military raid on Libya?
- Which branch was he/she serving in? Who was his/her commanding officer? Who were his/her peers?
- Where had he/she been stationed before he/she was called to take part in the Libyan raid? What did he/she think when he/she found out that he/she would be taking part in these activities?
- Did he/she feel as if he/she was prepared for his/her duties? Did it turn out that he/she was prepared?
- What part did he/she and his/her peers play in the raid? How did his/her efforts affect the action as a whole?
- After leaving Libya, did he/she feel that he/she accomplished anything? What was it? What was his/her most vivid memory of this time? Specific people or places? A certain event?