Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more
New? Start Here
Genealogy How-To
 Getting Started
 Getting Organized
 Developing Your Research Skills
 Sharing Your Family's Story
 Reference Guide
 Biography Assistant
Free Genealogy Classes
 Beginning Genealogy
 Internet Genealogy
 Tracing Immigrant Origins

Family Finder
First Name:

Rhonda's Tips: Genealogy Questions Answered
by Rhonda R. McClure

August 09, 2001
See Rhonda's Previous Columns

New York City Marriage

Q: I found information regarding my Great-grandparents in Family Archive CD #239 New York City, 1600s-1800s Marriage Index. I received the information that I could go to the Family History Department of the Latter-day Saints in Utah. I gave them all the information I saw in the CD. They wanted the Family History Library item number and I am not a member of their congregation. Information I sent: extracts 1932 NY genealogy records quarterly Emma Crane/Edmund Arnoux marriage license #2220310863 NY 1837. They said not enough information to process: Marriage Location & File number is needed. They kept my money and sent me a credit certificate for $12.00 and it is only redeemable through their Family History Department. If this is all the information I have, how do I get copies? -- Johnalee

A: It sounds like you located an entry on CD #239, which is published by in conjunction with the Genealogical Research Library in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It appears, based on a review by Marthe Arends, that the information from this CD-ROM comes from three main sources:

  • The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record - a quarterly published since 1870, for the year 1932.
  • Marriage Registers, Extracts from Manhattan (1869-1880) and Brooklyn (1895-1897)
  • Early Settlers of New York State, Their Ancestors and Descendants - Volume 2, Number 5, published November 1935.

Based on the information you supplied, it sounds like the entry for Emma Crane and Edmund Arnoux was found in volume 62 of The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record for the year 1932. This is available on microfilm through the Family History Library.

The Family History Library item number that you mentioned leads me to beleive they need the Family History Library Catalog microfilm number and item number on that roll of film. The FHLC is available online through I found that Volume 62 of the NYGBR is on microfilm 1425530, item 1.

I believe that you should be able to contact the FHL again, or visit the local Family History Center in a local Latter-day Saint chapel yourself. The Family History Centers are open to the public, regardless of religion. You could then order the microfilm yourself, and view the entire volume of The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record to see what else it has that pertains to your family.

SSDI Is Wrong

Q: I enjoyed the article about the Social Security Death Index. I have a question. What do you do when the date of death is wrong on the Social Security Death Index? How do you go about correcting it? -- Steve

A: You are not the first individual, nor the last, that will discover an error in the Social Security Death Index. It is important though to understand what is and isn't an error. This is especially true of the Residence at time of death, which is not necessarily wrong.

The entry for my grandfather, for instance, lists his Residence at time of death as Manchester, New Hampshire. He died in Florida though. Many think therefore that the Residence at time of death is wrong as he was in Florida. Actually his legal residence was still in New Hampshire, so really his entry is correct. So, this is an example of one possible error that turns out not to be an error at all.

In your case though, where the date is incorrect, it is good that you want to get the entry corrected. You will need to collect the proper documents, those that prove the entry is incorrect, and take those to your local Social Security office. Understand that it cannot be something like "family knowledge." It needs to be a certified copy of the death certificate or some other acceptable document. You will also need a little patience, as it will take some time before the revision will be included in the SSDI.

Germans to America

Q: I found a 60 volume hard copy reference containing passengers lists from 1850 to 1891 in our local college library about 1 1/2 years ago. I've found many of my relatives who immigrated from Germany in these volumes, some with misspellings. The reference obviously are not loaned out as the references are very expensive. Surely the passenger lists have been converted over to digital format by now, much the same as the Ellis Island passengers lists from 1894 to 1925 have been. Can you help me locate these references? Perhaps has them on line but to date I have not been unable to find them. I'm certain that this is a no-brainer for you, but I'm struggling to find Internet access to these passenger lists. -- Dennis

A: First, for those who are unaware of this impressive collection, Germans to America was edited by Ira A. Glazier and P. William Filby. Both men are well-respected in the field of genealogy. Each volume of this set, which actually covers the years 1850 to 1893 contains about 70,000 entries. Each entry gives the passenger's name, age, and gender. Also, you may find their occupation, country or province of origin, village of residence, and destination. Also, important for those who want to find the original passenger list, the entries include the name of the ship, the date of arrival, and the ports of departure and arrival.

You are correct, that much of this data is available online, and it is at as part of their International and Passenger Records Collection subscription database. You can see a sample of what the entries in this collection look like.

Presently there are two parts of this collection of volumes that are available in the International and Passenger Records Collection. The first set covers the years 1850 through 1874 (Volumes 1-31). The second set covers the years 1875 through November, 1888 (Volumes 32-56). December 1888 through July 1893 (Volumes 57-64) are not available online or on CD-ROM.

Getting Added to the SSDI

Q: I was married to Arlin John Smith (name changed to protect the family - ed.), who died in Medina, Medina Co., OH on January 13, 1992. How do I go about getting my name and the name of our child added to your SSDI records? -- Mary

A: While it is likely to find your deceased husband in the SSDI, you would not find yourself or your children in this index. The SSDI is the Social Security Death Index. One must be deceased to be included in this index.

It is not an index to all deceased individuals in the United States. Social Security was not begun until 1937, with the first payments being issued about 1940. The listings were not computerized until the end of 1961, so that the bulk of the entries begin in 1962 and go up through about the year 2000, with entries added monthly or quarterly to the online SSDI databases found around the Internet.

There are a few reasons that a deceased person might not show up in the SSDI in addition to the year they died. Certain occupations, such as railroad workers are not included, as they had their own pension plan. Doctors were not included until recently.

Rhonda R. McClure is a professional genealogist specializing in celebrity trees and computerized genealogy. She has been involved in online genealogy for fifteen years. She is the author of the award-winning The Complete Idiot's Guide to Online Genealogy, now in its second edition. She is the author of four how-to guides on Family Tree Maker. In late 2001, she wrote The Genealogist's Computer Companion. She is a contributing editor to Biography Magazine with her "Celebrity Roots" column and a contributing writer to The History Channel Magazine. Her latest book is Finding Your Famous and Infamous Ancestors. She may be contacted at

Back to Top of Article

Home | Help | About Us | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2011