U.S. Influence Overseas
Below is a list of Writing Ideas to help you with your biography.
See our instructions if you need help
printing these Writing Ideas or finding Writing Ideas related
to other Topics.
[ Continue with This Topic | Next Topic/List of Topics ]
- In 1903, Panama was a part of Colombia. When Colombia wanted more money for access rights to the canal site, the U.S. helped Panama revolt against Colombia. Many Americans felt that this was a misuse of American military power. How did she feel about the actions of the U.S?
- The Hay-Bonau-Varilla Treaty of 1903 gave the U.S. the right to build and operate the Panama Canal. It also gave the U.S. the rights to five miles of territory on either side of the waterway. Did she or any of her ancestors participate in the politics of the treaty? What role did she play?
- The Panama Canal cut sailing time between the Pacific and the Atlantic by two-thirds. In the eyes of traders, travelers, and the Navy, this was an excellent improvement. Did the treaty directly or indirectly affect her life? In what ways?
- The canal was begun in 1907 and completed in 1914. The canal was open for traffic on August 15, 1914. Did she or anyone she knew travel through the canal? What was it like? Describe the experience.
- The construction of the canal cost $380 million. Did she think building the canal at this expense was worthwhile? Why or why not?