Below is a list of Writing Ideas to help you with your biography.
See our instructions if you need help
printing these Writing Ideas or finding Writing Ideas related
to other Topics.
[ Continue with This Topic | Next Topic/List of Topics ]
- Cuba was one of Spain's few American colonies that had not revolted in the early 1800's. In 1895 however, Cuban patriots took up arms to fight for independence. Did he have an interest in their struggle?
- The U.S. tried to persuade Spain to give Cubans more say in their government. In January 1898, President McKinley ordered a battleship to protect U.S. citizens in Cuba against attack. Did he think the U.S. had a right to do this?
- In February 1898, a huge explosion sank the U.S.S. Maine which was anchored in Havana Harbor. To this day, no one knows what exactly happened. What was his opinion? Did this justify war? Why or why not?
- In April 1898, the U.S. declared war against Spain. Theodore Roosevelt organized a regiment, consisting mostly of volunteers, to go and fight. They were known as the Rough Riders. Did he know of anyone who was directly involved with the war?
- The Spanish commander surrendered Santiago after the U.S. artillery captured San Juan Hill and the Santiago Harbor. Within days the war was over. How did this make him feel about U.S. military and political power?
- Did he think that the U.S. should be involved in overseas issues such as these? What responsibilities did he think that the U.S. had to the rest of the world in this case, if any?