World War I
Below is a list of Writing Ideas to help you with your biography.
See our instructions if you need help
printing these Writing Ideas or finding Writing Ideas related
to other Topics.
[ Continue with This Topic | Next Topic/List of Topics ]
- Why did she stay home for that time? Was she not called up or was her tour of duty shorter than the duration of the war? Was she too young or too old? Did she wish that she could have gone?
- What was it like at home? How was life different because of the war? What was the biggest sacrifice she had to make because of it?
- What did she do at home to help the war effort? Did she buy "Liberty Bonds"? Did her family observe wheatless Mondays and Wednesdays or meatless Tuesdays so more food would be available to send overseas?
- Did any friends or family fight in the war? How did she feel when they left? Was she scared? Did she think that she would never see them again or did she feel that they would return? How did it turn out?
- How did she keep in touch with her loved ones who were away during this time? Did she save any letters she wrote or received?
- Did any friends or family die because of the war? Who? Did she know how he or she died? When did she find out about their death?
- During the war years, many minorities and women took jobs that they couldn't get previously. Did she notice these changes? What did she think of them?
- When did the war end for her? Was it when the armistice was declared? Or perhaps it was when a loved one came home. Describe that day.
- An armistice was declared on November 11, 1918, after 10 million soldiers had been killed. Did she join in any victory celebrations? What was the mood of the population?
- What did she think of Woodrow Wilson's Fourteen Points and his treaty making capabilities? Did she think that this was a peace that would last? What did she think of the League of Nations?
- What was it like when her friends and family finally came home? Had they changed in ways she didn't expect? Had she changed in ways they didn't expect? What was hardest to adjust to once they got back? What was easiest?
- Did it take a long time for life to return to normal? Did it ever? Was it easy to put it all behind her and get on with her life or did she have to struggle? Why?
- What sort of memorabilia did she save from this time? What did it symbolize to her? What memories and feelings did it bring back?