World War II
Below is a list of Writing Ideas to help you with your biography.
See our instructions if you need help
printing these Writing Ideas or finding Writing Ideas related
to other Topics.
[ Continue with This Topic | Next Topic/List of Topics ]
- Why did you stay home? Were you not called up or was your tour of duty shorter than the war? Were you too young or too old? Did you wish that you could have gone?
- What was it like at home? How was life different because of the war? What was the biggest sacrifice you had to make because of the war?
- What did you do at home to help the war effort? Did you grow a victory garden?
- Did anyone you knew leave home to fight in the war? How did you feel when they left? Were you scared? Did you think that you would never see them again or did you feel that they would return? What actually happened?
- If anyone you knew left home, how did you keep in touch with them during this time? Did you save any letters you wrote or received?
- Did any of these people die because of the war? Who? Did you know how they died? How did you find out about their death?
- During the war, many things such as gasoline, food, and rubber were rationed. Did the rationing cause big changes in your life? What did you need to do without?
- Did you experience blackouts? What happened during them? Did you have blackout curtains?
- During the war years, many minorities and women took jobs that they couldn't get previously, and were paid more in general. Did you notice these changes? What did you think?
- When did the war end for you? Was it when the U.S. dropped the atomic bombs on Japan? Or perhaps it was when a loved one came home. Describe that day.
- What was it like when your friends and family finally came home? Had they changed in ways you didn't expect? Had you changed in ways they didn't expect? What was hardest to adjust to once they got back? What was easiest?
- Did it take a long time for life to return to normal? Did it ever? Was it easy for you to put it all behind you and get on with your life or did you have to struggle? Why?
- What sort of memorabilia did you save from this time? What did it symbolize to you? What memories and feelings did it bring back after the war?