The Korean War
Below is a list of Writing Ideas to help you with your biography.
See our instructions if you need help
printing these Writing Ideas or finding Writing Ideas related
to other Topics.
[ Continue with This Topic | Next Topic/List of Topics ]
- Did he fight in WWII as well as Korea? How did he feel about going into combat again? Did he have the same feelings about Korea that he did about WWII?
- Describe basic training. Who was his commanding officer? Who were his peers? Where and for how long was he trained? What did he learn?
- Did he have trouble getting along with anyone in his unit? Why? What became of it? How did he deal with it?
- Did he have a nickname? What were the memorable nicknames of others?
- How did he feel about sharing his space with others? Did it feel cramped at first? Was it easy to get used to?
- What was his most vivid memory of basic training? Specific people or places? A certain event?
- Which weapons was he trained to use? How did he feel about using weapons? Was he comfortable with one in particular?
- Was he especially skilled at one particular task? Did it become his "specialty"?
- Did basic training build up or cut down his self-confidence? Why or why not? Did he feel as if he was well-prepared for his duties? Did it turn out that he was prepared?
- Where was he stationed after basic training? What were the people and the surrounding area like?
- How did he keep in touch with his friends and family back home during this time? Did he save any letters he or they might have written?
- What battles did he fight in during this war? Was he part of the invasion of North Korea on October 8th? Was he a witness to the Chinese attack of 200,000 men on November 8th? How about the see-saw battles later in the war? Describe what happened during these battles.
- In later years, did he keep in touch with any of those that he fought with? Did he save any of their lives? Did they save his?
- Was he injured in any way? Describe what happened. What went through his mind when he realized he was hurt?
- If he was injured, did he heal quickly or not? Did it change him in ways that he still noticed in later years? How?
- Did he ever need to take someone's life? Describe the experience. How did it affect him both immediately and in the long term?
- Why did he leave the service? Honorable discharge? Injury? End of active duty? Describe the circumstances and how he felt about them.
- Was he able to return to "normal functioning"? Was it easy to put it all behind him and get on with his life, or did he have to struggle? What was hardest to adjust to once he returned?
- Was there someone or something that was helped him readjust to being home again? What did this person do?
- After all was said and done, what did he learn from his experiences in the military? Why were these lessons valuable to him? How did they change him and his ideas or values?
- How would he have been different if he had never had these experiences?
- What sort of memorabilia did he save from this time? What did it symbolize to him? What memories and feelings did it bring back after the fighting was over?