The Vietnam War
Below is a list of Writing Ideas to help you with your biography.
See our instructions if you need help
printing these Writing Ideas or finding Writing Ideas related
to other Topics.
[ Continue with This Topic | Next Topic/List of Topics ]
- Why were you home at this time? Were you not called up? Were you too young or too old? What was your situation at that point in time? Did you wish that you could have gone to fight?
- What was it like at home? How was life different because of the war?
- If any loved ones fought in the war, how did you feel when they left? Were you scared? Did you think that you would never see them again or did you feel that they would return? What actually happened?
- Did any of your loved ones die because of the war? Who? Did you know how he or she died? When did you find out about their death?
- In general, what did you and others initially think about U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War? Did you support U.S. involvement in Vietnam? Did your ideas change over time? Why? What influenced your thoughts?
- Many people protested U.S. involvement in Vietnam. Were you involved in the protests? What did you do to protest the war? Go to rallies? Burn draft cards? Why did or didn't you protest?
- When did the war end for you? When the peace treaty was signed in 1973? When a loved one came home? Describe that day.
- What was it like when your friends and family finally came home? Had they changed in ways you didn't expect? Had you changed in ways they didn't expect? What was hardest to adjust to once they got back? What was easiest?
- Did it take a long time for life to return to normal? Did it ever? Was it easy to put it all behind you and get on with your life or did you have to struggle? Why?