Shepard: 1st American in Space
Below is a list of Writing Ideas to help you with your biography.
See our instructions if you need help
printing these Writing Ideas or finding Writing Ideas related
to other Topics.
[ Continue with This Topic | Next Topic/List of Topics ]
- On May 5, 1961, Alan B. Shepard Jr. completed a 15 minute rocket trip that made him the first American ever in space. How did she hear about the event?
- How did she feel when she learned that the Americans had made their first successful space flight?
- Shepard was almost the first man in space, but a Soviet cosmonaut, Yuri Gagarin, claimed that honor with a space flight he made only 23 days earlier. How did she feel about the competition between Soviet and American space programs? Did she think that space would ever be used for national defense?
- Throughout the 1960's, NASA (The National Aeronautics and Space Administration) prepared and practiced for a trip to the moon. How interested was she in the activities of NASA?
- Before this trip into space, did she ever think that it would be possible for people to travel in space? Did she want to travel in space or did the idea frighten her?
- How far did she think that space travel would go? Did she think that we would be able to study other planets in-depth? Did she think that we would ever discover other forms of life? What about establishing colonies on other planets?