The Energy Crisis
Below is a list of Writing Ideas to help you with your biography.
See our instructions if you need help
printing these Writing Ideas or finding Writing Ideas related
to other Topics.
[ Continue with This Topic | Next Topic/List of Topics ]
- U.S. support for Israel in the Arab-Israeli War became problematic in the early 1970's. To decrease U.S. support for Israel, Arab countries organized an oil embargo against the U.S. Did you think that the U.S. should have been involved in the Arab-Israeli conflict?
- OPEC cut off U.S. oil supplies for five months, reducing its availability to consumers. Did you have to wait in long lines for gas during this time? Could you only get gas on certain days? What did you pay for a gallon of gas?
- Was the impact of the oil embargo surprising to you? Did you realize that the U.S. imported such a large percentage of its oil supply?
- In 1972, the United States used 30 percent of all the oil produced in the world, and demand was increasing rapidly. Did this worry you? Did you think that the U.S. should develop other energy sources such as solar, wind, or nuclear power? Did you think of these as viable alternatives to oil?
- Did the oil embargo raise your consciousness about conserving energy? In what ways did you try to cut down on your energy use? Did you use your thermostat less or buy a small car?
- How did the oil embargo make you feel about the United States as a world power? Did it seem as if oil-exporting countries had found the United State's weakness? Did you feel more vulnerable as a resident of the U.S.?