CEMETERY PRESERVATION & RESTORATION SEMINAR No fee, but Registration required SATURDAY OCTOBER 23/ SUNDAY OCTOBER 24, 2010 Register at FRYING PAN PARK VISITOR CENTER 2709 West Ox Road Herndon, VA 20171 703-437-9101 Co-sponsored by Frying Pan Park and Fairfax County Cemetery Preservation Association, Inc . www.honorfairfaxcemeteries.org • Robert Mosko's presentation on cemetery and monument preservation; and on-site field study and assessment of Frying Pan Park Meeting House Cemetery • Fairfax County Park Authority archaeologist, Aimee Wells' presentation "Stones Speak in Historic Cemeteries"- learn what types of information can be found in historic cemeteries. • Fairfax County Cemetery Preservation Association. Inc. presentation • Tour of the Frying Pan Meeting House Robert Mosko is founder and owner of Mosko Cemetery Monument Services which specializes in preserving, conserving, restoring and rehabilitating historical cemeteries and monuments. Established in 1998, Robert has been in practice for 11 years and is also an Adjunct Professor at Harford Community College Building Preservation and Restoration programs where he teaches Basic Cemetery Conservation. Robert has worked in more than 56 cemeteries and has restored, repaired, preserved, and conserved more than 4,000 gravestones and monuments. Some of his oldest projects include the box tombs of the Ball Family (Grandparents to General George Washington), Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church cemetery which dates back to 1711, and the Lincoln Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. FRYING PAN MEETING HOUSE CEMETERY 2615 Centreville Rd., Herndon, Va. The church building on this site was built in 1791 on land deeded to the congregation by ROBERT "COUNCILLOR" CARTER. Baptist meetings are thought to have been heldin this area as early as 1740. There were only 16 remaining formal headstones, but the church minutes from 1791-1879 list an additional 32 burials. Many graves are marked by field stones. In 1988 the ownership of the meeting house and cemetery passed from the last surviving trustee to the Fairfax County Park Authority which maintains the building as a community meeting place.