Acknowledged as a Charger in Honour the Light Brigade, In Search of the Light Brigade, and Forgotten Heroes: The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Hell Riders, and in Andrew Sewell's unpublished work on the Medal Rolls. Entry from my book: ? Dalton, Pte Charles, (1136), 8th H (p94) Bn 11-24-32 in Parish of St Lukes, Chelsea [EJB]. Enl 03-50 in Westminster at age 18 [EJB]. At Trowbridge 1st Mstr [54-1-5]. Abd Echunga fr 04-15 & thru 2nd Mstr; Outpost duty 3rd Mstr [54-2-5]. Rode in Charge [BCS 1879]. At Baidar Valley 1st Mstr; Fatigue Duty 3rd Mstr [55-3-5]. Gen Simpson’s Staff 1st Mstr [55-4-5]. Member BCS 1877 & 1879 [GM 38]. W/ Svc Trps entire period [54-1 to 56-1]. Medal [281/286] w/ A [281/286], I [281/286], & S  Clasps. Not on B Roll although it is almost certain he rode in the Charge. Bio: Dc 09-63 fr Calcutta, India; emigrated to Australia; married Jesse FitzSimmons of Armagh, County Armagh in Sidney on 06-06-65; nine children; died 02-05-91 at Balgowlah & buried in the Church of England Cemetery there [EJB]. More info from E J Boys Archives (Lives of the Light Brigade --online) Dalton was born in St. Lukes, London, England in 1832 and served with the 8th King's Royal "Irish" Hussars during the Crimea War; including the Charge of the Light Brigade and the Indian Mutiny. The uniform he is wearing in this photo looks like that of a Senior Sergeant in the King's 8th, however, the British "foreign service" helmet next to him interestingly bears the first N.S.W. Police helmet plate; as illustrated above. It is this author's opinion, that Dalton fashioned this N.S.W. Police uniform on that of his old military unit. Senior officer's in the N.S.W. Police soon began to wear and would continue wear "hussar" style, undress jackets from the 1880's up until the 1940's.
Dalton had a very interesting life. After service in India, Dalton officially travelled to Australia on board the P&O mail steamer, "Northam", as "escort" to the newly appointed NSW Administrator and soon to be, Governor in Chief of Australia, Lord John Young and his wife Lady Adelaide Young. They arrived in Sydney in 1861 and Dalton fell in love with Australia. He excelled in his new work in the Mounted Governor's Escort and was asked to stay on in that role by Lord Young.
In 1862 and pursuant to new Police Regulation Act of 1862, Dalton was officially discharged, after 12 years and 70 days service with H.R.H. military forces, with the "Good Conduct badge" whilst on active service at the Governor's pleasure and he and his elite, mounted troopers (known as "the Governor's Escort" ) were to become one of the last of the disperate " law enforcement" bodies in N.S.W, to be officially amalgamated into the newly formed New South Wales Police Force. He became officer No. 1342 and he and his family settled into their home at Goulburn; whilst he served in the Western District. In 1864, at the insistence of Governor Young, his duties were retransferred to the old, "Depot"; where Police troopers for Government House security and the South East District were stationed.
After the attempted assassination of the visting Prince Alfred, whilst he was attending a picnic at Clontarf on the 12th March, 1868, Dalton returned to full-time, Government House duty and was promoted to the rank ofSergeant on the 1st July, 1868. On 6th March, 1869 he was awarded the title of "Officer-In-Charge" of the "New South Wales Police Mounted Governor's Escort" and he, along with his family and four N.S.W. "Mounted Troopers" moved into and occupied the "Government House Household Cavalry" buildings ( now known as the "Conservatorium of Music") which they used as their home for the next 20 years; and to serve the next 7 "Governor's".
Dalton was one of only twelve possible survivors of the "Charge of the Light Brigade" to settle in Australia and was made a member of the Balaclava Commemeration Society (exclusive to those who actually rode in "The Charge"), in 1879. The "Government House Household Cavalry Barracks" building is located in Maquarie Street, Sydney; a beautiful, ornate building specifically designed to house "His Excellency" the Governor's Escort, by the talented "gentleman convict" architect, Francis Greenway.