Your answer does not really address the problem.I wasn't dealing with predicted vs actual as I understand that the 23andMe haplogroups are based on a SNP.
The person's haplogroup at 23andMe was reported to him as
As I stated in my initial post, I had already checked the Haplogroup Tree Mutation Mapper at 23andMe and they show the defining variant mutation for R1b1b2 as M-269.
This man's haplogroup at 23andMe is just a further downstream subclade for what they show R1b1b2.
I believe that FTDNA discontinued R1b1b2 haplogroups when they went to the YCC2010 version of the phylogenetic haplotree.
In my Turner project (with over 500 testees), every single haplogroup shown for anyone with R1b1 (or downstream subglades) were changed to R1b1a (or downstream subglades) EXCEPT the 6 people who had been confirmed (either because they originally tested in the National Geographic Society's Genographic project or were Y-HAP backbone tested at FTDNA before 2007).These people are effectively "frozen" in terms of what they show as their haplogroup as R1b1 and shorthand version R-P25.
However, please note that all of them are shown as R1b1 NOT R1b1b.In comparing everyone of their matches, they are all R1b1a2or some form which suggests that IF they were not "frozen" by that old Y-HAP backbone test, they would also be some form of R1b1a2.
When I check the Haplogroup statistics for everyone in my project, this is what is shown:
6 Confirmed R1b1 (by early Y-Hap backbone tests) 29 Confirmed R1b1a2 or downstream subclades 291 Predicted R1b1a2 or downstream subclades
No confirmed or predicted R1b1b2 or subclades
Those who are listed as R1b1a2 all show M-269 as the defining SNP.
So, from that, it appears to me that 23andMe is not using the YCC2010 version of the phylogenetic haplotree.
You wouldn't be having the same SNP (M-269) being the defining SNP for two different basic haplogroups R1b1a2 and R1b1b2.
That was why I asked the question as to what YCC version of the phylogenetic haplotree 23andMe was using.