1. Census Ð who provides the info to the census taker? a. If a family is not at home then a neighbor will be asked to provide the census taker with that families info.Thus, many mistakes are made pertaining to that family.
2. If children were the only ones at home then the census taker is usually provided information that is either guessed at or was simply made up.
3. Women sometimes lied about their age.
4. There are families who believed it was none of the governmentÕs business.Thus, everything they provided to the census taker was most likely to be incorrect.
5. Beginning with the first census of 1790 and up to about 1920or 1930, most of the farmerÕs and their families did not know how to spell, along with many of the inner city families.Thus, the census takers never asked families to spell their names.Therefore, the census takers spelled their names as best as the census taker could.