I solved the problem with my data entry in Generations 8.0 with Windows XP Home Edition.
I clicked on start, then run, and typed in msconfig and when the box came up clicked on start at the top of the box on the right. I then went into msconfig and removed the check from the first five boxes. Reloaded and Generations still didn't work. Went back into msconfig and put the checks back in those boxes and removed the checks from the next five boxes. Reloaded the computer and the Generations problem was solved. I then went back in and took one item at a time, restoring the checks until I discovered which one was the problem. It was AOLDial. There are a lot of people out there with Generations and the data entry problem, and this should help them. It may not be AOLDial for you, but may be one of the others. (firstname.lastname@example.org)