If (when?) UFT dies what will you switch to and why?What are biggest problems with data transfer?I haven't seriously considered switching yet, but I've looked at TMG, Legacy, PAF, Generations, and FTM.Here are a few observations:
1) I'd never heard of Legacy until a month ago.It looks quite promising, although I don't care for their report formats.It appears that it may even be possible (though possibly painful) to transfer source transcripts, which is very important to me.
2) I looked at TMG quite a while ago, but decided against it because at that time it was based on 16-bit Foxpro which I feel is now outdated.If they upgrade their database program, I'll reconsider.Also, it's quite expensive. (I tolerate UFT's use of Foxpro because it's no work to me to change from UFT, but would not start down a NEW path with outdated software.)
3) PAF has the advantage of being free and supported by the LDS church which is unlikely to abandon it and has been good about updates.I'm not sure what I'd lose in data if I switched.
4) FTM just seems flat awkward and inadequate when compared to UFT.I feel blinded when trying to navigate around.Perhaps I'd get used it, though.Sources don't seem to transfer well.Also, if genealogy.com abandons UFT I'd have a hard time giving them any of my money in the future.
5) My mom bought Generations a while back and if I remember right, sources didn't transfer well and all event text got put in a single text box for each individual.Haven't seen a recent version, though.