In recent correspondence since my having posted my query here last week, I learned that it is still believed by some current researchers, that prior to the formation of Capt. QUIGLEY's Company in Aug. 1812, that a "Capt." BARRETT had a pre-existing unit for the Firelands area. This same BARRETT was supposed, by some researchers, to have, in Aug.1812, joined up under Capt. QUIGLEY, as aLieut. BARRETT. While this David BARRETT did indeed join Capt. QUIGLEY's Company in Aug. 1812, but there is no ORIGINAL-source evidence whatever, that BARRETT had his own pre-existing Company prior to that time.....this seems to be an unintentional error made by early historians, however blown more out of proportion by even later ones, even so much so, that now some researchers even believe that Capt. QUIGLEY had his own Company PRIOR to Aug. 1812. NONE of this is corroborated by first-hand info. IN FACT, the following letter, written June of 1812, indicates that the area had no military-type protection whatever, as of June 1812. If anyone comes across additional info, either verifying this, or discounting it, I would be very thankful to see it. Thanks, Ted ---- extract of letter (as previously transcribed) [sent from the Township of Danbury, Ohio, June 3, 1812]:
"" In this case the whole County of "Huron" will be protected, as probably the families of most of them would resort here & if they did not [[?]] theIndians cannot make a descent by Water upon the"Fire Lands"unless they first land at this place & overcome us. The protection of this place is in truth, the protection of the "Fire Lands".
[sent from the Township of Danbury, Ohio, June 3, 1812] [as previously transcribed]
OSL PETITION TO MEIGS To his Excellency Return J. Meigs Governor of the State of Ohio, the petition of the inhabitants of the town of Danbury, County of Huron' State of Ohio, by their agents the subscribers respectfully showeth --
That the town of Danbury is situated upon a peninesula adjoining Sandusky Bay & Borders upon the West of the lands[?] owned by the Indians - That there are at present about One hundred soules residing in the town who the last season have principally imigrated from the Eastern section of the United States -- That they have been & still are much alarmed from the dangers of the Savages. That their fears are not idle nor groundless the following facts are submitted to your consideration -
The distance from Danbury to Maldin by water is only forty miles - Between the two places are a number of Islands nearly connected with each other which render a passage from one place to the other accessible by Boats ' Canoes -- The Indians might with their own craft come over in a day & night, destroy us & return undiscovered -- If aided by the British any opposition we could make would be unavailing -- We are separated by water from any other town on the "Fire Lands" & that water at times almost impassable by reason of Winds on the Lake & Bay - If attacked we must conquer or be conquered -- To escape by water would at best be doubtful -- To escape by Land we must pass thro' Indian Lands to the "Miami" or "rapids of Sandusky" & between Danbury & either of those places we do not know of a single White inhabitant -- To remove with our families & property, we know not where, will bring distress upon all & certain ruin upon many -- Most of the inhabitants on the opposite shore of the Bay, not so much ex- posed as ourselves, have removed with their families & many others are preparing to depart -- We are therefore truly speaking alone -- Yet under the pressure of these discouragements & dangers we are determined not to leave the place -- We have unanimously resolved to build a Block house until some other protection can be obtained -- We have began partly finished the Building - In a few days it will be completed -- We have in- vited our neighbors to Join in the undertaking -- Some of them who have not left the County have removed here with their families & others are hourly expected -- Yet a Block house is a defence only for the moment - Our families cannot all live in one - In a time of immediate danger it will be a place of resort & probably of safety -- When we leave it we must be to- gether & constantly watch our families & property -- We are poorly Supplied with arms & ammunition & we cannot labor when the worst of Dangers approach- es so nearly in the worst of forms -
From these Considerations we have been induced to req uest your Ex- cellency to station two militia companies at this place as soon as they possibly can be got here -- In this case the whole County of "Huron" will be protected, as probably the families of most of them would resort here & if they did not the Indians cannot make a descent by Water upon the "Fire Lands" unless they first land at this place & overcome us. The protection of this place is in truth, the protection of the "Fire Lands" -- We do not think it will be necessary that they should remain here longer than the taking of "Malden" as from that quarter we principally apprehend Danger - Our Block house can be used for the Joint Benefit & accommodation of the inhabitants & soldiers until others are erected if supposed to be necess- ary -- The complyence of your Excellency with our request will be received with much gratitude & we hope it may not be deferred a moment, for upon a declaration of war we know not what consequences may follow -- We shall with great anxiety await the event of this communication as upon it depends the peace & we believe the lives of those we hold most dear on earth -- Still Sir, it is proper to inform you that we shall never leave the Peninsula with all our resources we will defend ourselves if in any attempt upon us we are destroyed we shall leave behind us a proper example for others & if we succeed we shall enjoy the proud satisfaction of having performed our duty to ourselves & our Country -- We have left our native states to enjoy in the Wilds of Ohio that peace which is not the companion of poli- tical turmoil & we hope still to reallize all its Blessings under the pro- tection of a government which we respect & love --
We are Sir with the highest consideration & respect your Excellencys Obt Sts.
Epaphras W. Bull Pamtse[?] Park[?] Committee[?] Elijah N. St John George Bishop
Danbury June 3. 1812
I have perused the above petition and fully believe the facts states to be true & while I request it may be granted for the Safety of the In- habitants of the Peninsula, I would beg leave to add that I should con- sider a force placed at the Peninsula as an additional protection to this place; for is a Body of Indians shoul.d land at Danbury they might penetrate to this Settlement without any resistence