The Fourth division: its services and achievements in the world war By Christian Albert Bach, Henry Noble Hall
The US Army in World War I - Orders of Battle By Richard A. Rinaldi
Fourth Division (Regular Army)
The division is known as the "Ivy Division," its shoulder insignia is a green four-leaved ivy, about a circle, in cross shape, superimposed upon a square olive drab diamond.
Organized at Camp Greene, Charlotte, North Carolina, on December 10, 1917. Began leaving Camp Green April 18, 1918, by way of Camp Merritt and Camp Mills. Overseas movement began May 1, 1918. By June 3d, all organizations, except artillery, were in the Samer area for training with the British. The artillery trained at Camp de Souge. On June 9, 1918, the division moved to the Meaux and vicinity and on June 15th moved to LaFerte, being at the disposal of the 164th French Infantry Division. Units of the division participated in the fighting around Haute-Vesnes, Courchamps, Chevillon, St. Gengoulph and Sommelans until Junly 22d, when the division was made reserve. Some of the infantry units were detached and put into the fighting with another American division.
The division went into the front line August 3d, advancing to the Vesle, and was relieved on night of August 11th, and on August 19th was withdrawn to the Reynel training area, and on September 1st all units were moved to Vavincourt for further training. On September 7th, troops of the 59th Infantry went into the line the Toul sector southeast of Verdun. The 59th Infantry was relieved September 15th and the entire division moved to woods near Lennes on night September 19th-20th. The division, as part of 3d Corps, attacked on the first day in the Meuse-Argonne offensive, September 26th, advancing six and a half kilometers the first day, and continued in this offensive until October 19th, when it was relieved while holding Bois de la Cote Lemont, and Bois de Brieulles. On October 20th the division was assigned to the 2nd Army; started to move to Vignot and Lucey areas on October 21st. On November 4th the division was assigned again to the 1st Army and started moving to Blercourt, November 6th, but was reassigned to the 2d Army on November 8th. The division returned to Void November 9th, attached to the 4th Corps. After signing of the armistice, the division concentrated around Bourcq November 13th and the Artillery Brigade, which had been kept in action almost continuously along the Meuse, rejoined the division November 14th. Began its march into Germany November 20th, under the 3d Army and on December 16th the division was occupying the Kreises of Adenau and Cochem, Province of the Rhine, as its permanent area of occupation.
Battle casaulties 12,948. Distinguished Service Crosses awarded, 66.
Commanding generals: Major-General George H. Cameron, December 10, 1917 to August 24, 1918; Brigadier-General Benjamin W. Poore, August 24 to August 31, 1918; Major-General John L. Hines, August 31 to October 17, 1918; Major General George H. Cameron, October 17 to October 24, 1918; Brigadier General Benjamin W. Poore, October 24 to November 7, 1918; Major General Mark L. Hersey, November 7 to November 11, 1918.