THE 4th Division was organized at Camp Greene, Charlotte, North Carolina, on December 10, 1917, by Major General George H. Cameron. It was made up of units of the old Regular Army, which was brought up to strength by drafted men. Its shoulder insignia is a green four leaf ivy about a circle in cross shape, superimposed upon a square olive drab diamond. The division left Camp Greene April 18, 1918, and the overseas movement was begun May 1st. The majority of the division landed in England and proceeded to Calais, and by June 3rd, all organizations, with the exception of the 4th Artillery Brigade, were sent to the Sammer area for training with the British. The 4th Field Artillery Brigade was sent to Camp De Souge.
General Cameron, who had organized and originally commanded the division up to this time, was placed in command of the Fifth American Army Corps. Brigadier General B. A. Poore was in temporary command of the division until Major General John L. Hines arrived to take command. On October 11th General Cameron resumed command of the 4th Division, while General Hines went to command the Third Army Corps.
To include May 15, 1919, the division had suffered 2,986 major casualties, had captured 2,756 prisoners, 44 field pieces, and had advanced, in the face of resistance, 24^ 2 kilometers (15 miles). The division received, during this period, 19,599 replacements, and had total casualties (killed, wounded and missing) of 14,183, of whom two officers and 68 men were captured by the Germans.
The 4th Division was composed of the following organizations: 7th Infantry Brigade—39th and 47th Regiments 8th Infantry Brigade—58th and 59th Regiments. 10th, 11th and 12th Machine Gun Battalions. 4th Field Artillery Brigade— 13th, 16th and 17th Artillery Regiments. 4th Regiment of Engineers. 4th Field Signal Battalion. 4th Sanitary Train.