Constituted in the Army Reserve in May 1930 as 310th Tank Regiment and underwent a number of reorganizations and redesignations until designated 782d Tank Battalion in January 1942. Ordered into active Federal service at Camp Campbell, Kentucky in January 1943. Arrived in France in January 1945. Trained replacements for most of the remainder of the war. Participated Central Europe Campaign. Returned to U. S. in January 1946 and inactivated at Fort Bragg, North Carolina the following month. Reactivated November 1946 at Washington, DC. Reorganized and redesignated several times prior to being redesignated 782d Tank Battalion in April 1952. Inactivated May 1959 at Washington, DC.
If 782d is listed on his separation certificate it's simply the unit to which he was assigned when released from active duty and may or may not be the unit he served with overseas.