The following is about two pages of info condensed to three paragraphs.
The Army Air Corps leased Orlando Municipal Airport in late 1940 and Orlando Army Air Field was created. The Air Corps Tactical School was transferred to Orlando from Maxwell Field, Alabama. Later expanded and redesignated School of Applied Tactics, Army Air Forces Training Center, the command studied and taught developments in Allied and enemy technology and tactics in the areas of air defense, offensive and defensive bombing, air support and services. The base eventually became the nucleus of an 8,000 square-mile simulated theater of war used mainly for practicing complicated aerial maneuvers.
Twelve new fields were built and several existing fields were acquired to serve as auxiliary bases. In mid-1943, the need for combat pilots declining, the Center expanded into training personnel in administration, intelligence, communications, logistics and medical specialties. A POW branch camp, accomodating 700 POW's, was set up. Inmates worked on the bases and on local farms.
At the end of the war, the base was phased out, inactivated and most of the property reverted to the owners, including the City of Orlando. Part of the northernmost area was purchased by the Navy and became Orlando Naval Training Center. What was once the central headquarters area became the Orlando Executive Airport.