The 191st was organized 1 September 1940 from tank companies of the New York, Massachusetts, Virginia and Connecticut National Guard. Company A was formerly the 27th Tank Company, an element of the 27th Division, New York National Guard. Inducted into Federal service and fully organized at Fort George Gordon Meade, Maryland in February 1941. Overseas, the battalion trained in Tunisia and was assigned to IV Army Corps just prior to the Salerno Landing and, at various times, supported elements of the 1st Armored Division, 3d Infantry Division and 45th Infantry Division in Italy. The battalion was attached to the 45th Infantry Division just prior to the Invasion of Southern France and remained so until the end of hostilities in Europe. It received seven campaign credits and took part in three amphibious assalt landings during the war. The battalion was disbanded at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia in December 1945 and companies returned to their respective states of origin.