I'm in Souuth Australia and for 12 years I have been doing free research for people all over the world who had ancestors/family who came to South Australia in the 1800's.
I saw your request on Gen Forum re William Edgar & Margaret McGilvray of Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotldna.
William Edgar married Margaret McGilvray 26th May 1874 at Middle or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
ARRIVAL FROM OVERSEAS.
The only arrival I have for William Edgar and Magaret McGilvray is in 1848.Their first child in South Australia was born in 1874 - an awfully long wait between 1848 and 1874.
CHILDREN BORN IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA TO WILLIAM EDGAR & MARGARET McGILVRAY.
1. Annie McCallen born 27th Decemeber 1874 at Hackney District Adelaide reference book 145 page 419 (mother's surname spelt McGILOREY) on this birth record.
2. Hughine McGilvroy born 6th April 1881 at Adelaide District Adelaide reference 257 page 478
3. Jams born 29th November 1882 at Adelaide, District Adelaide reference book 294 page 491 (mother's surname spelt McGALARY on this record)
4. Janet Balfour born 11th July 1876 in Adelaide District Adelaide reference book 168 page 322
5.Jean Smith born 7th March 1879 in Adelaide District Adelaide reference book 25 page 425
James Edgar aged 25 years, single, son of William Edgar married 16th April 1908 to Matilda aged 26 years, single, daughter of William James Lewis at Methodist Manse, Prospect District Adelaide reference book 235 page 149
CHILDREN BORN TO JAMES EDGAR & MATILDA LEWIS
1. Jean Alice born 1st November 1912 at Parkside District Adelaide reference book 898 page 65
2. Margaret McGilvray born 14th January 1909 at Hide Park District Adelaide reference book 815 page 374
3. Sylvia Mary born 25th June 1911 at Unley District Adelaide reference book 867 page 131.
Victor William aged 29 years, single, son of William Charles John, married 4th March 1937 to Sylvia Mary, aged 25 years, single, daughter of James Edgar at St. Oswald's Church, Parkside Disrict Adelaide reference book 375 page 726
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN BIRTH RECORDS CUT OFF AT 1928, therefore no children available in records after that date.
I hope the above information is of some interest to you.