A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931
DAVID NICHOL JOHNSON, county attorney of Louisa County, has been an able lawyer of this section of Iowa for over a quarter of a century. His success as a lawyer has been the accompaniment of a fine mind and character, and at all times he has been faithful to the discharge of his duties and obligations as a citizen.
Mr. Johnson was born in Clearcreek Township, Keokuk County, Iowa, May 12, 1877. His father, William Johnson, was born in Richland County, Ohio, and was a child when the family moved to Iowa in 1854, being early settlers in Keokuk County. William Johnson was a brave soldier of the Union during the Civil war, being a captain of a company in the Thirteenth Iowa Infantry. He was wounded at the battle of Shiloh, but remained with the colors until the end of the war. After the war he was a farmer and merchant, and died in 1922, at an advanced age. He married Helen Marquis, of Keokuk County, Iowa, who died in 1881. Of their five children the two now living are David N. and Mrs. Eva Keifhaber of Manitoba, Canada.
David Nichol Johnson was reared on a farm in Keokuk County, attended public schools there until 1897, and in the meantime had helped his father and also hired out as a farm hand. For two years he taught school in Keokuk County, and teaching paid part of his expenses while in the University of Iowa, where he took the law course and graduated June 12, 1901. After graduating he taught two years in Keokuk and Washington counties and in 1903 formally launched himself in the practice of law at Columbus Junction, during the first year having an associate Fred M. Molesberry. He then practiced alone, and remained at Columbus Junction for seventeen years. While there he served about ten years as justice of the peace and was secretary of the school board for five years. He was also secretary of the local fair association two years.
Mr. Johnson was elected for his first term as county attorney in 1920, and at that time he moved his home from Columbus Junction to Wapello. He has also served as city recorder of Wapello. In 1926 he was again elected county attorney and in 1928 reelected, and gives most of his time to the work of his office. He is a member of the Sons of Veterans, the Knights of Pythias, the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Johnson married, September 6, 1899, Miss Mamie Goeldmer, of Clearcreek Township, Keokuk County. She died December 14, 1917, the mother of three children: Everette G., of Chicago; Mrs. Alice Stegal, of Muscatine; and Miss Evelyn. The son Everette is an accomplished musician, and organized a well known orchestra, called the Chicago Cadet Band.