Buncrana From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Buncrana Bun Cranncha —Town— Buncrana from the south
Coat of arms Motto: Aoibhinn Linn Áille na hÁite Seo(Irish) "sweet to us is the beauty of this place" Buncrana is located in Ireland Buncrana Location in Ireland Coordinates: 55.1364°N 7.4560°WCoordinates: 55.1364°N 7.4560°W Country Ireland Province Ulster County Donegal Government • Type Town Council • Mayor of Buncrana James Gill • Dáil Éireann Donegal North–East • European Parliament North–West Elevation 62 m (203 ft) Population (2011) • Urban 3,452 • Rural 3,747 Time zone WET (UTC+0) • Summer (DST) IST (WEST) (UTC-1) Irish Grid Reference C346320
Buncrana (play /?b?n.kræn?/; Irish: Bun Cranncha, meaning "foot of the (River) Crana") is a town in north County Donegal, Ireland. It is beside Lough Swilly on the Inishowen peninsula, 23 kilometres (14 mi) northwest of Derry and 43 kilometres (27 mi) north of Letterkenny. In the 2011 census, the population was 7,199 making it the second most populous town in County Donegal, after Letterkenny, and the largest in Inishowen.
Buncrana is the historic home of the O'Doherty clan and originally developed around the defensive tower known as O’Doherty’s Keep at the mouth of the River Crana. The town moved to its present location just south of the River Crana when George Vaughan built the main street in 1718.
The town was a major centre for the textile industry in County Donegal from the 19th century until the mid-2000s (decade). Contents
1 History 1.1 O'Doherty's Keep 1.2 20th Century 2 Politics 2.1 Local 2.2 National 3 Geography 3.1 Geology 3.2 Climate 3.3 Transport 4 Demography 5 Tourism 6 Sport 7 Culture 7.1 Music 7.2 Media 8 Education 9 People 10 International relations 10.1 Twin towns — Sister cities 11 See also 12 References 13 External links ================================= look to the left of the site and it gives you the town lands
History O'Doherty's Keep
On the northern bank of the River Crana as it enters Lough Swilly sits the three-story O’Doherty’s Keep, which is the only surviving part of an original 14th century Norman castle. The first two levels of the keep were built after 1333. In 1601 the O'Doherty's Keep was described as being a small, two story castle, inhabited by Conor McGarret O'Doherty. In 1602 the third level was added and it was upgraded by Hugh Boy O'Doherty as an intended base for Spanish military aid that hoped to land at Inch.
The keep was burned by the English in 1608 in reprisal for the rebellion of Cahir O'Doherty who sacked and razed the city of Derry. After Cahir O'Doherty was killed and his land seized, the keep was granted to Sir Arthur Chichester, who then leased it to Englishman Henry Vaughan, were it was repaired and lived in by the Vaughan family until 1718.
In 1718, Buncrana Castle was built by George Vaughan, it was one of the first big manor houses built in Inishowen, and stone was taken from the bawn, or defensive wall, surrounding O'Doherty's Keep to build it. It was erected on the original site of Buncrana, which had grown up in the shadow of the keep. Vaughan moved the town to its present location, where he founded the current main street and built the Castle Bridge (a six-arched stone single lane bridge) across the River Crana leading to his Castle.
During the 1798 Rebellion, Theobald Wolfe Tone was held in Buncrana Castle when he was captured after the British/French naval battle off the coast of Donegal, before being taken to Derry and then subsequently to Dublin. On May 18, 1812, Isaac Todd bought the entire town of Buncrana, also the townlands of Tullydish, Adaravan and Ballymacarry, at the Court of Chancery on behalf of the trustees of the Marquess of Donegall. His nephews inherited the castles, and they later became known as the Thornton-Todds. The castle remains as a private home today. In the forecourt there is a memorial rock in honour of Sir Cahir O'Doherty, and a plaque dedicated to Wolfe Tone.
When John Newton and his shipmates on The Greyhound found a haven in Lough Swilly on 8 April 1748 after a devastating Atlantic storm, he saw his survival as divine intervention, the answer to prayer. The refuge of the Swilly and Buncrana area laid a spiritual foundation for a reformed later life. In 1764 he became a Church of England clergyman and subsequently, as curate at Olney in Buckinghamshire, an anti-slavery activist and renowned hymnist famous for writing “Amazing Grace”.
One of the oldest remaining inhabited residences in Buncrana is a Georgian property called Westbrook House
, situated at the entrance to Swan Park just north of the town center of Buncrana. The house was built in 1807 by Judge Wilson, who also built the single-arch stone bridge (referred to as Wilson's Bridge) leading to the house and the entrance to Swan Park. 20th Century Millbrae at the end of the Lower Main Street with Swan Mill in the background
In October 1905, Buncrana was the first town in County Donegal to receive electricity. It was generated at Swan Mill which continued to provide electricity for the town until September 1954 when Buncrana was brought under the ESB Rural Electrification Scheme.
On 30 July 1922, during the Irish Civil War, Buncrana was captured by the Free State forces from Republican forces without the loss of life. The Free State forces held the railway station, telephone and telegraph offices and all the roads entering the town. At 4:00am a sentry stopped a car on the outskirts of the town and on discovering it contained the Republican commander, with five armed volunteers, arrested them. At around 7:00am the Republican forces' position was surrounded and were given fifteen minutes to surrender. They complied, were arrested and their weapons and ammunition seized. Later that day, 100 Free State troops commandeered a train at Buncrana station and proceeded to take Clonmany, Carndonagh and other locations on the peninsula.
Buncrana was the object of public attention in 1972, when after Operation Motorman it became the place of refuge for many Provisional Irish Republican Army members from Derry. In 1991, a local Sinn Féin councillor, Eddie Fullerton, was murdered by loyalists from Northern Ireland.