A previous message, I've forgotten which one, inquired about a Robert Battersby of County Meath, Ireland, who settled near Brantford, Ontario, Canada. I believe I can identify the Robert Battersby in question.According to the 1858 & 1870 editions of Burke's Landed Gentry, under "Battersby of Lislin & Ashgrove," Robert Battersby was the eldest son of Edward George Battersby (b ca 1785; d 1856), of Hickory Lodge, Co Meath (& later of Brantford, Ont, Canada), by his wife, Elizabeth Ryan (b ca 1780-90), daughter of the Rev Wm Ryan (d ante 1805), of Spafield & Kilvemnon, Co Tipperary, by his wife, Anna Maria Long (b ca 1740-50; living 1805), daughter of Edward Long (d at Cork City, 1773), of Lacken, near Ardfinnan, & of Cahir Abeey, near Cahir, both in Tipperary, by his wife, Elizabeth Mauzee (d 1799, Clonmel, Tipperary). Edward G. Battersby & Elizabeth Ryan were married Nov 1809, so I would place Robert's year of birth ca 1810-15. Robert had 2 younger brothers: Wm Ryan Battersby (b ca 1816), who also came over to Canada & settled in Ontario. He married Harriet Phelan in 1842 at Woodhouse in Norfolk Co, Ont. William must have died by 1881, since his widow Harriet was then residing with George Land & John & Sarah Murray in Hamilton, Ont, re the 1881 Cdn Census. She is described in the Census as a widow, 60 yr old, & born in Ireland. Since she wasn't living with any of her children, I therefore doubt that she & Wm had any. Robert Battersby's youngest brother , Lt-Col Jenyns Charles Battersby (1819-1899), immigrated to the States rather than Canada & settled in New York City. He fought in the Civil War & gained some recognition as an artist. He married a widow, Jula McClellan of Quebec, & they had five daughters: Mary, Virginia, Fanny, Sabinia & Martha. I would very much like to make contact with the descendants of the five Battersby girls from New York City. Robert Battersby's father, Edward G. Battersby, had the following siblings: 1. Haynes Wade Battersby (1765-1841); 2, Lt-Col Wm Battersby (1767-1837); 3. Thomas Battersby (d ante 1858); 4. Robert Battersby (1793-1824); & four sisters (no dates): Frances, Mary, Abigail & Catherine Battersby.
Edward G. Battersby& his siblings were the children of Robert Battersby (1721-85), of Bobsville, Crossakeel, Meath, by his wife, Marianmne Wade. Edward G. Battersby's brother, Lt-Col Wm Battersby (1767-1837), of Bobsville, married at Longfield House, Cashel, Co Tipperary, June 17,1794, Anna Maria Long (1776-1856), who was the niece & namesake of the Anna Maria Long who married Rev Wm Ryan. William & Anna Maria Battersby had 15 children, but apparently, no descendants beyond their grandchildren! Anna Maria (b India, 1776) was the daughter of Colonel Richard Hutchinson Long (1740-1814), of Longfield, Aerdmayle, Cashel, Tipperary, by his Indian mistress (while in the employment of the East India Co), Hedjeba, alleged to have been a princess - daughter of the Rajah of Arcot. I, Count Caragata of Toronto, am a gt-gt-gt-gt-grandson of Col Richard Long, of Longfield House, by his wife, Charity Moore (1760-1842), of Barne, Clonmel, Tipperary
Children of Lt-Col WWilliam Battersby of Bobsville,by his wife, Anna Maria Long of Longfield, Tipperary:
1. Rev Robert Battersby (BA, Trinity Colle Dublin, 1819), b Jan 22, 1796; d Sept 17, 1888; Rector of Killeagh, Oldcastle, Meath; m. (wife's name unknown) & had issue, 4 sons, of whom two are known: Robert Battersby (living 1883), of Diamor, Crossakeel, Meath; & Thomas John Battersby (living 1883), of Phillipstown, Crossakeel, Meath. Rev Robt Battersby served as senior chaplain to the 1st & 2nd Marquesses of Headfort
2. Rosetta Charity Battersby, b May 12, 1797; d June 17, 1797
3. Capt Richard Long Battersby, b Dec 13, 1798; d Jan 1879, 15th Regiment of Foot
4. Rev William Battersby (BA, TCD, 1821; MA, TCD, 1832), b Jan 1, 1800; d July 12, 1880; of Boltown, Crosakeel, Meath; m. Mary Maud Caulfield. Issue if any unknown
5. Haynes Wade Battersby, b Nov 29, 1800; d Dec 9, 1800
6. Marianne Battersby, b 1802; d unmarried 1821
7. Thomas John Battersby, b 1804; d 1837; BA, TCD, 1819; MA, TCD, 1832
8. Edward Haynes Battersby, b 1805 & d same year, 1805
9. Henry Battersby, b 1806, d 1826
10. Harriette Battersby, b 1808; d unm Nov 15, 1878, of Bobsville, Crossakeel
11. Francis Battersby, b 1810; d June 2, 1882; of Boltown, Crossakeel; served as a justice of the peace
12. Charles Battersby, b 1811; d July 30, 1855; attended TCD in 1829 but did not graduate
13. John Long Battersby, b 1814; d Feb 9, 1885; of Bobsville, Crossakeel, Meath; m. 1st, Catherine Blakeney (who is believed to have died in childbirth, 1842; infant died also); John Long Battersby m. 2ndly, Feb 1855, his half first cousin, Charity Cooper (1830-1921), daughter of Samuel Cooper, of Killenure, Cashel, Tipperary, by his wife, Louisa Salisbury Long, daughter of Col Richard Long (1740-1814), of Longfield House, Cashel, Tipperary, by his wife, Charity Moore of Barne, Tipp. John & Charity Battersby had issue: a) Anna Louisa Battersby, b Dec 6, 1855; d Dec 5, 1872; b) William Cooper Battersby, b Dec 3, 1857; living 1888; of Bristol. England, in 1888; c) Francis Robert Battersby, b Aug 12, 1859; living 1905; of Bobsville; d) Charles Austin Batterby, b May 16, 1864; d unm 1899; of Bobsville.
14. Anna Battersby, b 1817 & d same yr, 1817
15. Hercules Soame Jenyns Battersby, b 1820; d June 8, 1859; unknown if her m. & had issue.
(most of above info obtained from: copy of info found in Battersby of Bobsville Family Bible, Reg of Deeds Dublin, Trinity College Dublin, Long Family records).
Cheers! Count Caragata