Researching family that includes John ALLEN of Cordoo (Corduff) near Newbliss, born c. 1820, and wife Matilda CALVIN, born 1825 Creevlea, Co. Monaghan, Ireland. They married in 1853 at Stonebridge Presbyterian Church near Creevlea, where Matilda's father William Calvin was a church elder. Matilda's mother was Anne Hadden of Ballygawley and Goland townland, Co. Tyrone. Some of the Calvin family records are also found at Clones and other Monaghan locations.
John ALLEN's father was Rowland (Rowley) Allen who was probably living until at least the 1860s. Griffith's Valuation of Co. Monaghan, Aghabog parish, shows "Rowley Allen" at Corduff townland. Another of Rowland Allen's children was Matilda ALLEN who married Thomas McMullin in 1853 at Newbliss Presbyterian Church, Co. Monaghan. I haven't traced anything further on this couple, although at least one researcher was interested in them years ago and submitted their names to LDS family files.
On John Allen & Matilda Calvin -- John was a farmer at Cordoo and died before 1911. Calvin family letters stated that his wife Matilda Calvin Allen, then a widow, died in May that year, and their son took over the family farm. John and Matilda are said to be buried at Newbliss Presbyterian Church cemetery where several of their children and grandchildren are buried. Only one modern marker exists there today for the Allen family plot, although it probably replaces older markers. John and Matilda's names and dates are not included in the inscriptions.
Newbliss church ledgers have not yet been researched.
John Allen and Matilda Calvin's children were:
1. Matilda Allen - born c. 1854, married Samuel Norris of Crappagh townland (his 2nd wife), died 1942 at age 88. Samuel Norris with his 1st wife Margaret Jane Beatty, 2nd wife Matilda Allen, and several of their children are buried at Aghabog Church of Ireland cemetery near Crappagh.
2. John Allen - married Margaret Elizabeth "Meta" Moore. John died in 1949 and his wife in 1955. Both are buried at Newbliss Presbyterian Church cemetery with large Allen family headstone. None of their 5 children married, and the last surviving child, Margaret Ann "Annie" Allen, died in March 2007.
3. Annie Allen - married Tom Steenson and had 2 children: John Steenson, who married Anna Edgerson and had 12 children; and Matilda "Tillie" Steenson, who never married.
4. David Allen - emigrated to United States where he was killed in a dray-&-team bolting accident c. 1921-1930, possibly New York. He was married but his wife's name is not yet known, and their children were said to be Grace and David Allen Jr.
5. Joseph Allen - born 1865 (per civil registration index), nothing further known. He could have been actually named "John Joseph" or "William Joseph" or other son, and so was not a different child.
6. William Allen - went to America and family lost touch with him.
7. Archie Allen - went to America and family lost touch with him.
I'll be glad to share further data, and would appreciate any information on the ALLENS, CALVINS and allied families of County Monaghan.