It's not much, but the following description appears in a 1912 edition of Baedeker's Guide to Palestine & Syria. The area was part of the Ottoman Empire until 1918.
Hasbaya - elev. 2297ft. A small town with 5000 inhabitants(4000 Christians) situated on the W. side of an amphitheatre of hills. The American Mission and the Syrian British Mission have a church and schools there. On both sides of the valley are terraces luxuriantly planted with olives and vines. The grapes are either converted into raisins or into syrup(dibs). Hasbaya is supposed to be the ancient Baal Gad, which lay at the foot ofMt. Hermon. The castle, once occupied by the Druse emirs of the Shihab family is now in possession of the Turkish authorities.
Sounds like a nice place 90 years ago. Maybe it still is.