I'm researching a branch of my Haber family, originally from Hirlau,
Romania, that changed their name to Aber while transiting through England.
After looking for them for a long time in all major websites concerning
immigrants to the USA, I have found out they had reached Montreal,
I do not have enough data, and found only a few names, but I believe some
of them stayed in the U.K..
The parents were Velvil (Wolf) Aber/Haber and Hanna Moskovitch. I suspect
they had past away in the UK.
The children were:
- Sure Beile ABER, married to Reuben Guttman. Their kids: Gitza, Hyman,
- Shulim Yitzchak (Sam) ABER, married to Ethel LEHRER. Their kids: Sarah,
Philis, Tillie, Ann, Evelyn, William. (found in Canada).
- Hersch Leib (Harris) ABER, married to Zelda (Sadie) HERSCHKOWITZ. their
kids: William, Anne Sandra, Sylvia, Doris. (found in Canada).
- Moishe Haim (Morris) ABER, married to Ghitle HERSCHKOWITZ. Their kids:
Sylvia, Sam, Tova Etta, Joseph, Julius Lionel, William Harry, David Peter,
Philip, Ann, Sarah. (found in Canada).
- Yankel (Jack) ABER
- Aharon ABER, married to Masha. Their kids: Ann, Lilly.
- Rachel Aber, married to Joseph PEPPERMAN. Their kids: Leah Harry, Tillie,
Sam. (I have found Rachel descendants)
- Maintza ABER - most probably stayed in England
- Abraham ABER, married to Dora. Their kids: William, Nathan, Beatrice,
Dora, Teddy, Harry.
I do not know exactly when this branch left Hirlau Romania. I guess it
happened sometime in the late 1800's. I know they first went England, and
some of Velvil (Wolf) Aber-Haber's children stayed there. As mentioned
below, these were probably Maintza and Abraham (married to Dora). I can't
find any record concerning the parents Velvil and Hanna.
I have found some records in Montreal, that include registration of births,
marriages and deaths.
Among the records are Moishe Haim (Morris) ABER's marriage to Ghitle
HERSCHKOWITZ in 1903 in Beth David Synagogue, and Hersch Leib (Harris)
ABER's marriage to Zelda (Sadie) HERSCHKOWITZ in 1909 in Chevra Kadisha
synagogue. I've also found registrations of 9 children( of three different
brothers) born between 1909-1924. Oddly, the registration took place only in
1936, and according to the record numbers, they were all made at one time.
If any of this rings a bell, anyone related, or anyone who can advise what
to do next - please contact.
Guy Haber, Israel
Guy Haber, Israel
Researching: HABER, ABER, ORENSTIEN -Hirlau Romania, New York, Montreal.
SCHWARTZ - Husi, Tirgu Mures Romania