This was a big insurance Co during colonial days and was called National Mutual Life Assurance Co of Australasia. It may have closed up operations after the insurance take over of the 60s and the building possibly vested with the Insuarnce Corporation. It was of a classical design with corinthian columns outside and marble corinthian columns inside the large entrance hall. The building would last forever if maintained properly and may have been built by Walker Sons & Co who were responsiblefor the Chartered Bank Bldg and several other classic buildings in the Fort. The Dominion Hotel was on Upper Chatham Street next to the Baur Building. White Horse Inn was on Chatham Street on the opposite side to the the Nat Mutual Bldg. Lord Nelso was on the same side three doors away from the Pagoda Tea Rooms. Pagoda was in a 3 storied building owned by HL de Mel and Co. Opposite the Pag was the chemist Pinto & sons which was there from the late 19th C.The Dominion, Globe, Hotel, Lord Nelson, The Mount Lavinia Hotel and the New Oriental Hotel in Galle was at one time owned by AR Ephraumswho died in 1931 in the Mount Lavinia Hotel where he lived. All those Fort pubs had a separat saloon bar with a billiard table and were very popular with the government and mercantile employees working in the Fort.The Ceylinco Bldg constructed in the 1950s also by Walkers was the tallest bldg in the Fort at the time, since dwarfed by the much taller constructions that came up post 1980.