Reading through the Gilliam messages, many of us are researching various collateral lines of the same GILLIAM family/families in Lamar County, AL. We know that we go back to HOWELL GILLIAM, b. @ 1783, NC, and died 1861 in Fayette Co., AL. KNOWN named children:
1. Margaret Gilliam - b. @ 1811, NC; d. aft 1860 (1850 Margaret was living with Jason Guin and wife Frances; also living with them were her siblings Nancy and William. 1860 Margaret was living with her brother William Gilliam and his wife Mary and their family. Believe she never married.
2. John Gilliam - b. 23 Oct 1814, NC; d. 15 Oct 1900, Lamar Co., AL, mar. 1 Mar 1842, Lucinda W. Cannon...have info on him and his lines.
3. Peter Gilliam - b. 1818, NC, d. 1863, Lamar Co., AL, mar. Mary A. Loftis (my direct line) Have info on him and his lines.
4. Frances Gilliam - b. abt 1820, NC, d. 10 June 1857, Fayette Co., AL, mar. Jason Guin Have some info on her and her lines.
5. NANCY GILLIAM - b. abt 1825, NC--NEED INFORMATION ON NANCY--DID SHE MARRY? IF SO, WHO? She is on the 1850 census with her siblings living with Jason Guin family, she is listed as age 25. Any information will be helpful.
6. William D. Gilliam - b. abt 1827, NC; d. 4 May 1864, Rock Island, IL--Civil War--mar. abt 1853 Mary Amarilla Brock. Have info on him.
It is possible that Howell had other children, names unknown, also wife's name unknown. However, presumably she came to Alabama with him between 1830 and 1840.
Would appreciate any descendants of any of the above contacting me. I am compiling database of those persons descended from the Howell Gilliam lineage of Lamar County, AL. There are many, many of us--Howell's son Peter had a son William Harvey Gilliam--he had 17 children of whom my grandmother was the 16th! Great-grandma Caroline lived to be 65; William Harvey lived to be 76.