Sorry, had to get that out. Lucy is really starting to drive me nuts.
I was wondering if perhaps someone could help me clear up who might be the parents of my Lucy who was born about 1782 in Virginia.
She married a Thomas Cleere [b.27 Jun 1777 Virginia; d.Dec 1835 Lawrence County, Alabama] before 1802, probably in Caroline County, Virginia. Lucy died some time after the 1850 census, as she appears on the 1850 Lawrence County, Alabama census aged 62 years.
Thomas Cleere shows as head of household on the 1810 and 1820 Caroline County censuses. Lucy shows as head of household (Mrs. Cleere) on the 1840 Lawrence County, Alabama census, and she shows living next door to one of her married daughters on the 1850.
Thomas Cleere (son of George Cleere and Elizabeth Elliott, George's first wife of three) and Lucy Chiles had the following 10 children:
1. Chiles Cleere [b.c1802 Caroline County, Virginia; d.aft 1870 Mt. Hope, Lawrence County, Alabama] m.(1) 26 Jun 1829 in Caroline County, Virginia to Sarah S. Howle. Chiles m.(2) 23 Dec 1858 in Lawrence County, Alabama to Matilda Tolliver. Chiles m.(3) 25 Feb 1864 in Lawrence County, Alabama to Harriet H. Mitchell.
2. George Dabney Cleere [b.09 Feb 1806 Caroline County, Virginia; d.16 Apr 1857 Newburg, Franklin County, Alabama; bur. Mt. Pleasant Church Cemetery, Newburg, Franklin County, Alabama] m. 15 Jan 1829 in Lawrence County, Alabama to Elizabeth Ward Walker [b.05 Jan 1814 Pittsylvania County, Virginia; d.24 Oct 1857; bur.Mt. Pleasant Church Cemetery, Newburg, Franklin County, Alabama].
3. Sally Ann Cleere [b.c1808 Caroline County, Virginia; d.c1834 Lawrence County, Alabama]
4. Thomas Elliott Cleere [b.c1811 Caroline County, Virginia; d.c1866 Lawrence County, Alabama] m.(1) 15 Aug 1833 to Rachel Jane Cunningham [b.1811-1820 d.1841]. Thomas E. m.(2) 10 Nov 1842 Lawrence County, Alabama to Kessiah Harris [b.c1816 Grainger County, Tennessee].
5. unknown female Cleere [b.1811-1820]
6. William Samuel Cleere [b.25 May 1813 Caroline County, Virginia; d.13 Sep 1872 Mt. Hope, Lawrence County, Alabama] m.17 Nov 1836 to Frances C. Evitts [b.c1821 South Carolina; d.1902 Mt. Hope, Lawrence County, Alabama].
7. Mary Elizabeth Cleere [b.c1815 Caroline County, Virginia; d.1850-1860 prob. Shelby County, Tennessee] m.(1) 29 Mar 1832 Lawrence County, Alabama to Lester Holt, Sr. [d.1840-1843]. Mary m.(2) 16 Nov 1843 to Richard C. Oglesby [b.c1807 Tennessee; d.1850-1860 prob Shelby County, Tennessee].
8. Robert Henry Cleere [b.c1818 Caroline County, Virginia] m. 15 Aug 1842 Lawrence County, Alabama to Narcissa Evitts [b.1828 South Carolina]
9. Lucy Bibb Cleere [b.c1820 Caroline County, Virginia; d.c1850] m.16 Aug 1838 Robert R. Chiles [b.c1812 Virginia]
10. Eusebia Neville Cleere [b.22 Mar 1823 Caroline County, Virginia; d.02 July 1865 Mt. Hope, Lawrence County, Alabama] m.12 May 1840 Lawrence County, Alabama to Rev. Ambrose D. McCord [b.05 Feb 1815 Tennessee; d.26 Jan 1875; bur. Rock Springs Cemetery, Lawrence County, Alabama].
I believe that I have excluded John Chiles and Mary Winston as her parents, since John's daughter Lucy married in 1791, per Quaker records, when my Lucy would have only been 8-9 years old. I have also seen John's daughter listed as married to a John Coleman and having died in Clark County, KY. I have also eliminated the same John Chiles and his second wife Lucy Coleman, as they were married about 2 years after my Lucy was born.
These are the only parents I've seen listed specifically for my Lucy in people's GEDcoms and such, and they just don't match up with known dates.
Now I am wondering if perhaps she could be the Lucy C. Chiles who was the daughter of Henry Chiles and Sarah Cheadle of Caroline County, Virginia. Henry was the brother of the above John Chiles...both were sons of Manoah Chiles and Anne Cheadle per Quaker records.
My Lucy was born c1782. If my Lucy got married a year or two before the birth of her first child, then she would have been around 15 years old, which would make ever so much more sense.
Henry's daughter Lucy C. Chiles is listed variously as born 1780-1785. This would fit with my Lucy, but there may be another Lucy I don't know about.
In addition, note that Lucy's second son was named George Dabney Cleere. For this reason I think she may have been related in some way to the Dabney Chiles who appears on the 1810 Caroline County, Virginia census (the same census her husband shows up on).
Any help in this tangled mess would be extremely appreciated. I'm trying to find some primary sources that will back up the info on Lucy and her parentage, or even primary sources that will exclude her from specific families so I'll know who NOT to go searching through.
Shanna M. Francis