I am very interested in learning more about Thomas Covington Shockley who was born about 1773 in Somerset County, Maryland and died FEB 1840 in Russell County,Alabama. His widow, Velinda / Malinda, is enumerated in the 1840 Russell County,Alabama census.
There are several facts which cause me to consider that he is the father of my Eleanor Shockley.
1. His parents are Thomas Covington SHOCKLEY Sr.andNellie. I have seen her name as Elizabeth and as Nellie.
2. He was born in Maryland
3. He had a daughter,Elizabeth, born after 1810 in Georgia
4. He was in Upson County, Georgia in 1830 and some of his children married there.
My Elanor Shockley has never been identified as a child in any Shockley family but I believe she may be a daughter of Thomas Covington SHOCKLEY. (At least related to him.) My reasons are:
1. Eleanor was born 1814 in Georgia
2. She also used the names Elinore, Ellen and Nellie. (If his mother, Elizabeth, was also known as Nellie couldn't his daughter, Nellie, be known as Elizabeth?)
3. She married William Anderson Watson 28 Dec 1836 in Upson County, Georgia
4. 4. Eleanor stated that her parents were born in Maryland
5. While Thomas Covington Shockley was in Russell County,Alabama in 1840. Eleanor and Anderson Watson were in adjacent Macon County, Alabama in 1840 and in Russell County before 1850.
There seem so many consistent factors between Eleanor and Thomas Covington Shockley that I am convinced they are related. I have a strong feeling that she may be his, daughter, Elizabeth, but I lack proof.
Does anyone know anything of his daughter, Elizabeth, or of my Eleanor Shockley Watson?Does anyone know anything further that would help to identify Eleanor'scorrect family?