I have just completed a project on the family of John Lemuel "Jack" Moore (b 4 Oct 1855 in GA; d 12 Jan 1942, Wichita Falls, Wichita co, TX) and wife Lenora Regina Garlinghouse (b 1861 in Watson, Effington co IL - d 21 Apr 1938, Wichita Falls, TX).She was the daughter of Andrew Garlinghouse and Sarah Ann (maiden name unknown).John Lemuel Moore and Lenora Regina Garlinghouse married 22 June 1879 in Greene co AR.They are buried in the Riverside Cemetery, Wichita Falls, TX.J L Moore and most of his sons were plumbers.J L Moore was the Sewer Maintenance Superintendent of Wichita Falls, TX for many years.
J L Moore had a first marriage earlier than his marriage to Lenora.He married early in Greene co AR (those records destroyed by a courthouse fire).According to a story told by his son Manny Oliver Moore, JL and first wife had two children.The wife and children were killed in a fire.While J L was attending their funeral, a "friend" dug up his money that had been buried in the house and absconded.Manny said that his father rarely spoke of those times.He remarried, moved to Comanche co TX, and began a new life.
John Lemuel Moore was the son of Andrew Jackson Moore (a school teacher) and Amanda Arantha Eubanks who was called "Allye"pronounced "Allie."J L had one older brother who survived childhood.He was James William Moore.J W Moore made his home in Lampasas, TX.Andrew Jackson died of disease while serving in the CSA.
The children of John Lemuel Moore and Lenora Regina Garlinghouse were:
1) James Pliny Moore (b 27 July 1880 in Comanche co TX - d 9 Dec 1947 in Wichita Falls, TX) m Henrietta Ralston on 1 Jan 1905, Wichita co TX [Book 2/233].Henrietta (b 27 June 1886 or 1887 [conflicting information] - d 5 May 1950 in Wichita Falls, TX.Both buried at Riverside Cemetery in Wichita Falls.
2) Arthur Moore (b 16 June 1882 in Lampasas, Lampasas co, TX - d 18 1884 and was returned to Dellaplaine, Greene co AR for burial)Info:Manny O. Moore, brother
3) Burty Andrew Moore (b 10 Oct 1884 Lampasas, Lampasas co, TX - d 9 Apr 1962 Wichita Falls, TX)Married a Dorothy and a Mary L (1930 cen Wichita Falls, TX)Had a son named Burt L. b ca 1910)[1930 census Wichita co TX]
4) Manny Oliver Moore (b 17 June 1887 in Lampasas, Lampasas co TX - d 29 Nov 1973 Wichita Falls, TX) m 1) 18 Mar 1910, Wichita co TX, Elizabeth Schmidt "of Hereford, TX" had one son Arthur Floyd Moore b 22 Aug 1912, Wichita co TX.Manny and Elizabeth divorced ca 1912.Manny m 2) 7 Mar 1919, Childress, TX, Clovia "Clovis" Z. Thrasher(b 10 Dec 1899 Paris, TX - died 26 May 1991 in Corpus Christi, TX).They had no children.Both buried at Riverside Cemetery, Wichita Falls, TX.Manny was a vet. of WW I.
5) George Earnest "Irish" Moore (b 26 Jan 1890 in Lampasas, Lampasas co, TX - d 5 Apr 1959 in Wichita Falls, TX.Irish never married.He served asPvt, Quartermaster Corp, WW I.Buried at Riverside Cemetery, Wichita Falls, TX
6) Goldie M. Moore (b 10 Oct 1891 in Temple, Bell co, TX - d 19 Jan 1975 in Athens, Henderson co, TX.She married (22 June 1915, Wichita Falls, TX, Vol 5., #72) Wallace Sentell Gullahorn (b 23 Dec 1885, Maplesville, AL - d 6 May 1954 in Wichita Falls, TX)He was the son of Isaiah Wallace Gullahorn and Sarah Elizabeth Sentell) Both Goldie and Wallace are buried at Riverside Cemetery, Wichita Falls.
7) Johnny Lee Moore (b 16 Dec 1894, Temple, Bell co, TX - d 24 May 1958 Wichita Falls, TX) m 27 Apr 1915 in Wichita co TX, Irma Ruth Savage (b 27 Apr 1899, Monette, MO - d 16 Oct 1977 Wichita Falls, TX)daughter of Edwin A Savage and Ida Bell Thomas.Johnny Lee and Irma Ruth are both buried at Riverside Cemetery, Wichita Falls, TX.
8) Ethel L. Moore (b 3 Oct 1897 Lampasas co TX - d 12 Aug 1919 Wichita Falls, TX) m 17 March 1919 in Wichita co TX, Claude M. Dunn (no other information) Ethel's obit says that she was a student in high school and that her death was tragic and "very sudden."Buried at Riverside Cemetery, Wichita Falls, TX as "Ethel Moore."
9) Tolbert Earl Moore (b 28 June 1899 in Lampasas, TX - 2 Nov 1965 in Solano co CA)In 1940 city directory of Wichita Falls, his wife is referred to as "Sudye"). In 1945 he is said to have lived in Santa Rosa, CA.He had one son Tolbert Earl Moore, Jr.b 6 June 1925, Wichita co, TX.
10) LeRoy Avery Moore (b 18 Sept 1901, Lampasas, Lampasas co, TX - d 25 Oct 1950 Amarillo, Potter co TX) married 3 times.The 2nd wife was the mother of his children.One wife was named Grace.I don't know which one.He is buried at Riverside Cemetery in Wichita Falls, TX.
I worked onsite in Wichita Falls, Wichita co TX.There I examined the courthouse b, m and d records.I also examined the records of the Owens & Brumley Funeral Home of Wichita Falls (the people there were delightful!); the Riverside Cemetery Records; "Pioneers Remember" ed. by Mary Anna (Renfro) Kearby, pub by N.T.G.A.1998; "Wichita County Beginnings" comp. by Louise Kelly; the Wichita Falls newspapers available on microfilm at the Kemp Public Library, Wichita Falls; Family Bible records of Manny O. Moore sent to me by his wife Colvis; family correspondence in my files; and letters from James William Moore, brother of J. L. Moore.I searched census records of Comanche and Lampasas, and Wichita cos TX.
I would like to hear from any descendants of this couple.I am seeking photographs of any of these folks.Will share my research with interested cousins.Jane Clancy Debenport, Temple, TXjcdeben@Vvm.com