In November of 1833, the Arkansas Territorial Legislature named Scott County in honor of Judge Andrew Scott. Scott was a native of Virginia, being born in 1788, and was appointed to the Superior Court of the Arkansas Territory by United States President James Monroe soon after the territory was created in 1819. In his time, Andrew Scott killed one man in a pistol duel and another with a cane sword, facts that attest to both his skill with weapons of the Arkansas frontier and to his prominence in territorial affairs that put him into controversial circumstances. Despite his violent actions, he was known as chivalrous with "a tender regards for the reputation of women." Scott was short, weighed around 130 pounds, and was known for his personal courage. Andrew Scott and another superior court judge, Joseph Selden, fought a duel after Judge Selden delayed making an apology for a remark made in the presence of two ladies. Judge Scott considered the remark insulting. Judge Selden eventually apologized, but enmity grew and in 1824 Judge Scott killed Judge Selden in a duel. Then, in 1828, while serving as a territorial circuit judge, Scott and Edmund Hogan, a political opponent twice his size, fought hand-to-hand. Judge Scott killed Hogan with thrusts of a sword cane. Legal inquiry found justification- self defense-and the judge was not held responsible. Then in 1830, Scott moved to his plantation in Pope County. Part of Pope County and a portion of Crawford County were taken to create Scott County. Judge Scott was a delegate to the Arkansas State Constitutional Convention in 1836. Judge Andrew Scott died in 1851.
The town of Cauthron, named for Colonel Walter Cauthron, an early pioneer of Arkansas and founder of Booneville, was Scott County's first seat of justice. It was selected in 1834 and the home of Colonel Cauthron served as the temporary county seat. Colonel Walter Cauthron served as one of the commissioners to select a permanent county seat, which was established at Waldron, being named for John P. Waldron, an engineer. William F. Featherston is credited with donating 10 acres of land for the site.