The area known today as the City of Alameda (a Spanish name chosen by popular vote in 1853, meaning "grove of poplar trees") is part of a former Spanish land grant stretching from San Leandro to Berkeley, and given to Luis Peralta in 1818, by the Governor of California. Subsequently, Peralta gave this land to his son, Antonio Peralta.
WW Chipman and Gideon Aughinbaugh, enterprising young men, were the first American settlers to arrive in Alameda. Their pursuits led to the establishment of a large peach orchard signaling the beginning of the area's development. Subsequently, Chipman and Aughinbaugh purchased the Alameda land (then a peninsula) for the sum of $14,000.
On December 27, 1884, the City of Alameda was formally organized and on January 18, 1885, the Official Seal was approved and adopted. Its Latin inscription "Prosperitas terra mari que", freely translates as: "prosperity from the land and sea". The Island of Alameda was created in 1902 when a tidal canal ( the "Estuary") was created joining Oakland's harbor with the San Leandro Bay. With this move, Alameda was put on the map as an important shipping port.