L. F. Franklin took over the operation of the mercantile business in Northfork, as it was spelled in those days, about 1898 and then bought the store. He married the schoolteacher, Maggie Moutrey in 1903 and they operated the business until his death in 1921. In about 1927 Maggie Franklin sold the store to a man named Cunningham and moved to Los Angeles. In about 1932, Mr. Cunningham disappeared and Maggie and her son, Lewis, returned to open the store again as Franklin's IGA Market. Lewis and his wife, Mary Margaret (MM) Davies operated the store and Post Office until 1944 when it was sold to Mr. Best. The original building was on the west side of the road and had a saloon on the north end. The Franklin's built a dance hall across the road. Before 1910 Mr. Franklin built a 2-story home up the hill to the west of the store. A garage was added in 1916 to house their first automobile. There was also a small fire house for the hand pump wagon. When the Franklin's repossessed the store the dance hall was converted to hold the mercantile business with an apartment in the back for Lewis and his family.
The folowing Ledger, or day book, was kept by a former manager of the mercantile business. Mr. Franklin used it as a scrapbook, pasting clippings about animal care, agriculture and recipies over the original writing. These came off easily and exposed the original entries which are being transcribed. Originally there were 192 pages but quite a few were cut out. The section below begins Friday March 23rd 1888 and goes to April 20th 1888. The last page, 192, is dated March 10th 1889.The names of the customers are listed along with what they bought and the prices. (Notes: Some names were spelled phonetically and some were difficult to make out. cu = cup, plg + plug, pr = Pair, " = pound, etc.)