From: "History of Sacramento County, California" 1880. Page 118.
St Joseph's Female Academy
"A day and boarding school, conducted by the Sisters of Mercy, at their Convent on F and G, Eighth and Ninth streets. The average attendance is from 260 to 300, including from 30 to 40 borders. The faculty includes 10 teachers, and the course of study comprehends English branches, French, German, music, painting and drawing. The buildings are large, handsome and well-arranged, occupying the center of a block of ground."