The following is from a big 1923 book titled "History of San Joaquin County":
William H. Lyons.The devotion of William H. Lyons to the city and county of his birth has been evidenced in his actions, and he has shown the greatest faith in the future growth and prosperity of the state.He was born in Stockton on March 22, 1864, a son of William H. and Georgia (Allen) Lyons, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of New York.The father came to California via the Isthmus of Panama in 1849 and the mother crossed the plains in wagons drawn by oxen in 1852.The father first located in Grass Valley, Nevada County, Cal., and as he was a lawyer by profession, practiced there, confining his practice to land laws almost exclusively.During the years of 1850-54 he served as state senator from Nevada County.The capital of California was then located at Benicia and there he met and married his wife, who was a teacher in the public schools of that state.They were the parents of seven children, Mrs. Virginia Lee Roberts, Mrs. Georgia Cook, Mrs. Miriam Sterling, three sons who died while young, and William H., the subject of this review.Settling in Stockton in 1854, the father practiced his profession until his death in 1885.Confining his practice to land laws, he became one of the foremost lawyers along that line; he was the land attorney for the Southern Pacific Railroad, having charge of their vast land holdings in the valley.He was a direct descendant of the historic Lee family of Virginia, being a first cousin of Robert E. Lee, the famous general.In time he became a large land holder, reaching as high as thousands of acres.In 1860 he bought the block of land at Eldorado and Poplar streets for $900 and on this land he erected his home, at that time the property being outside the city limits.Here all their children were born.In politics he was a Democrat and was a member of the Masonic order.
William H. Lyons was graduated from the Stockton high school with the class of 1883.He then became a clerk in the county recorder's office where he remained for two years; then for the next five years he was a clerk in the county clerk's office.In 1890 he entered the emply of the Stockton Savings Bank (now the City Bank) as bookkeeper.His first advancement was to the position of assistant cashier; then in 1910 became the cashier of that insitution, which position he now occupies with ability.
In 1907 he bought seventy-five acres of land seven miles northeast of Stockton, a part of the L.U. Shippee ranch; this he planted to walnuts, fruit and vineyard, improving with a pumping plant and irrigation system.The purchase price of this property was $150 per acre and today, on account of the high state of development is paying 6% on a valuation of $3,000 per acre.The Lyons home, known as "The Oaks" derived its name from the grove of venerable, gnarled oaks which surround the modern residence; there are extensive grounds and it is one of the handsomest country places in the county.The shrubbery borders are notable, quantities of berry bushes being used.In a glade just in front of the home is a long, irregular shped pool with large stepping stones across it, affording a unique approach to the front, and a concrete swimming pool withspringboard and other paraphernalia is a source of pleasure to the young people in the summer months.
The marriage of My. Lyons united him with Miss Ada Huggins, a former schoolmate, and a daugher of Frank Huggins, a California pioneer of 1852;he located in Sonora, Tuolumne County, and followed mining and was the agent for the Adams Express Co. Upon removing to Stockton he entered the employ of the San Joaquin Valley Bank and for many years was the cashier of that institution.Mr. and Mrs. Lyons are the parents of two sons:Frank is married and has three children and is farming 450 acres in San Joaquin County; William H., Jr., is with the Kroyer Motor Company.He attended the first officers' training camp at the Presidio in San Francisco and was commissioned first lileutenant of fiield artillery of the Ninety-first Division; later he was transferred to the First Division and was with the army of occupation in Germany, serving fourteen months overseas.Fraternally Mr. Lyons is a member of the Morning Star Lodge of Masons and of the Sockton Elks.For the past forty years, since August, 1883, he has been an active member of the N.S.G.W. Parlor No.7; he is also a member of the San Joaquin Society of Pioneers.