In a copy of Scharfs History of Delaware (1887), W. McClellan (no "d") is listen in the 1804 White Clay Creek Hundred assessment list.Some additional references;
1. "The first public school at McClellandville was taught by Miss Martha Chambers, and on the first day there were but three scholars, Andrew McBride, Mary J. Smith, and John M. Singles.The building was poorly constructed, and furnished without any attempt at comfort or convenience."
2. Under the topic of Christiana M. E. Church, "Previous to 1853 the inhabitants of the northwestern part of White Clay Creek Hundred attended divine services at the Flinthill Church situated near Strickersville.In that year the church burned, and the several members could not agree upon a site for the erection of a new building.William Smith, William Kennedy and William McClelland favored the erection of a church at McClellandville.In 1854, Wesley M. E. Church was commenced and completed at that place the edifice is a frame building one-story high and cost $1500.The membership at the time numbered 12.The church was connected with the Newark concert circuit until 1868, when the Newark church became a separate charge.In 1878 it was again placed in charge of the minister stationed at Newark.The church has been steadily increasing and now numbers 40 members."
3. "Tweed Mill - Sometime previous to 1798, Thomas and Joseph Rankin erected a grist mill, a sawmill, and a bark mill in the northwestern part of White Clay Creek Hundred, on the White Clay Creek.in 1803, this property passed into the hands of James Crawford, who in 1841 sold it to William McClelland.John Tweed in 1855 purchased the estate ...."
4. "McClellandville is situated in the northwestern part of White Clay Creek Hundred.This village derived its name from William McClelland, one of the earliest residents within its bounds.The first and only store opened in this village was owned by William Kennedy in 1860.A blacksmith shop was opened by the same gentleman in 1851.The story is now owned by George Smith, and a blacksmith shop by George Coils.in addition to the store and blacksmith shop, the village contains a Post Office, church, schoolhouse and about 10 dwellings.... The Post Office at McClellandville was established in 1850.William McClelland was the first postmaster.He was succeeded by William B. Mackey the present incumbent."