ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
G. M. VICKERS
Few members of the Sioux City Live Stock Exchange are as well known as
George M. Vickers, senior member of the live stock commission firm of Vickers,
Herman & Vickers. A man of tireless energy, keen perception and honesty of
purpose, he has long been regarded as a leader in his particular field of effort
and enjoys the universal esteem of all who know him. Mr. Vickers was born in
Boone county, Illinois, on the 23d of August, 1870, and is a son of James
and Christiana (Marshall) Vickers, the father a native of Scotland and the
mother of England. They came to the United States at the respective ages of
twenty-seven and sixteen years and were married at Caledonia, Illinois. The
father enlisted for service in the Civil war and at its close came to Iowa,
homesteading a farm in Sioux county in the fall of 1870. He there created a
splendid farm and spent the remaining years of his life there, dying at the age of
eighty-one years. He was survived by his widow, who lived to the age of
George M. Vickers attended the public schools and completed his studies in
Hull Academy, a Congregational school at Hull, Iowa. He remained on the home
farm until thirty years of age, the place having been turned over to him by
his father at the time of his marriage. In 1900 he engaged in the live stock
business as a country buyer, making his headquarters in Hull, and continued
in that line until February, 1908, when he moved to Sioux City and for about a year speculated as a yard trader. He then entered the employ of the C. L. Craighead Commission Company, remaining with that concern until October, 1910, when he went to work for the Charles R. Rice Commission Company. In December of that year this firm was succeeded by Swanson & Gilmore, with whom Mr. Vickers remained until June 15, 1911, at which time he formed the firm of Kloek & Vickers. In October, 1916, he became sole owner of the business, which was operated as the George M. Vickers Commission Company until March 1, 1921, when the present firm of Vickers, Herman & Vickers was organized, and is now recognized as one of the leading live stock commission firms on the Exchange.
Mr. Vickers is a man of shrewd judgment, quick decision and sound business methods and has so conducted his affairs as to command the confidence of all who have had dealings with him. He has been an active worker in the affairs of the Exchange, which he served one year as president, one year as vice-president and three years as a member of the board of directors. He has also served three years as a member of the board of directors of the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce, being at this time a member of that body.
On September 20, 1892, Mr. Vickers was united in marriage to Miss Hattie E.
Hodge, of George, Iowa. Mr. Vickers is a member of Morningside Lodge, No.
615, A. F. & A. M., of which he is a past master, and is now secretary of the
board of trustees; Sunrise Chapter, No. 141, R. A. M., of which he is high
priest; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R.; Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N.
M. S.; and a member of Abu-Bekr Mounted Patrol. Socially, he is a member of
the Morningside Country Club, of which he was formerly president and has been
a director for the past ten years. He and his wife are active members of
Grace Methodist Episcopal church, to which he gives liberal support. During the
World war Mr. Vickers served as chairman of the Liberty loan and war savings
stamp drives, and was in charge of the stock yards district. Personally he
is a man of genial and friendly manner, is generous in his support of all worthy causes and is deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare and advancement of his community.