Lewis Cain was b. Oct. 1846 OH, d. 1928, according to online Ancestry.com entry.I did not find a Brown Co. death record or marked grave for him.He was still living in VanBuren twp. in 1920 with 2nd wife Mary A. Thompson.Wherever he died, he's probably buried in the old Cain Cemetery, just not marked.
Lewis was son of William Cain and Lydia Shroyer:
William and Lydia Shroyer Cain were natives of Pennsylvania. After marrying, they moved to Ohio and then subsequently to Brown County, IN where they homesteaded a farm. William and Lydia, along with some of their children, are buried there in the family plot. The Cain family cemetery is pictured in a book of Brown County History, as an example of a pioneer cemetery. Connie Cain Healy Smith
According to William Sr.'s last will and testament, written May 14, 1878, his wife Lydia received "the farm on which we now reside" in Brown County, 160 acres, NW¼, Section 33, T8N, R4E. Upon her death the farm was to be divided equally among their children and Sarah Shroyer, a minor who "lives with us now."Lydia Cain also received personal property valued at $28.15.
The Cain Farm and cemetery is located at the intersection of Poplar Grove Road and Beck's Grove Road, by the old Salem Church.
William Cain, 12 Feb. 1812-14 Feb. 1881
Lydia Shroyer, 17 Nov. 1816-1896 (not marked)
Susan E. Cane, wife of Lewis, 31 Mar. 1849-3 May 1876
William O. Cain, s/o L. & S.E., 23 July 1868-29 Mar. 1870
Lewis Cain married 1st Susan E. Hill, about 1865.I did not find this marriage record in Brown or Bartholomew.They had:
1. Lydia Jane, b. about 1866, not found after 1880;
2. Florence Emma, b. 1868, m. John W. Phillips 14 Feb.1885.Florence died 1920, buried at Garland Brook in Columbus.She had 5 children.
3. William O., 23 July 1868-29 Mar. 1870 (apparently Florence's twin)
4. Cora A., b. 1871, not found after 1880
Lewis m2 Mary Ann Thompson, 1 Apr. 1877, Brown Co.
1. Sarah Elizabeth, b. 26 May 1879.She m. John W. Sprague, 12 Feb. 1896, Brown Co.She died 10 Apr. 1905, probably at Columbus, but buried in Brown Co., Grandview Cem.They had one son, Roscoe.
2. Pearlie E., b. Sept. 1884, not found after 1900.
3. Ina O., b. Sept. 1886, not found after 1900.
Bartholomew Co. Genealogical Society