I found this article while looking for obits in the Elkhart Truth newspaper:
Pioneer 92 years old felicitated by friends
Mrs. Ellen Troxel Shupert, who has been a resident of Concord Township nearly 72 years, was the recipient of many felicitations on her92nd birthday Wednesday, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. T.B. Marjason, 1923 Lane Ave.A number of friends called to congratulate her on her good health and abundant good spirits despite her advanced age.
Among the remembrances of the day, she received a box of orange blossoms from Mr. and Mrs. Willard Davis of Elkhart, who are spending the winter in Clearwater, Fla, and a shawl from her son, Allen Shupert Of Whitefish, Montana.
Came here 38 years ago
There are two other daughters and a son living in Elkhart-----Mrs. Emma Halstead of Evans Street, Mrs. Samantha Stutsman of Middlebury Street, and Henry Shupert of Roys Avenue--a third son Charles Shupert, who lives in Miami,Fla.The venerable woman has made her home with Mrs. Marjason the last two years.Prior to that she had long lived at 757 Middlebury Street, she and her husband, the late William Shupert, who died 21 years ago, having moved to Elkhart 38 years ago from a farm a few miles south of the city.
They were married in Miamisburg, Ohio in 1851, and intended to migrate at once for the "St. Joe country" which was then attracting settlers from various districts in the east.But the roads were too miry for wagon travel that fall, they waited until Spring, and then the young hysband set out alone, on horseback, returning for her after doing his spring planting.The trip to the new home 200 miles distant was then made in a wagon.
Their first Concord Township home was four miles southeast of Elkharton what is now known as the Hershey Farm, adjoining the old Elkhart-Goshen road.When they located in the township there was but one house on the road between Elkhartvillage of 500 people and Goshen, the county seat, a town of 1,200.This house was a 12 room brick tavern called "The Half Way House" on the D. Garver farm, and still stands.Fred A. Blessing of Elkhart was a recent owner for several years, but sold it to Harry Lerner four months ago, and Mr. Lerner has since disposed of it.It is the first house south of Dunlap, near a grocery.
Woods at Depot Site
When Mrs. Shupert first came here the locality of the New York Central passenger and frieght depots was a wilderness with early footpaths through the woods.She helped to cook the meals for the men engaged in the construction of that portion of the Air Line between Elkhart and Goshen, and, of course, saw the first passenger train, a free excursion, that ran over the road.Indians had not been so longed removed to a western reservation but that there were still evidences of their former habitation here. and the woods were not yet free of wolves and other wild animals, though she never but once experienced the thrill of beholding a wolf at large.
Mrs. Shupert is the last survivor of her parents family.She had two sisters and a brother.her mother died when she was an infant.
Mrs. Shupert is quite active for one of her age.She devotes much time in reading and piecing quilt blocks, and delights to take strolls out of doors.Better still, she is ever ready for an automobile ride.