Surnames in bio: COLLINS-BUNKER-GRUBB-KENT-CROSSLEY- CARMICHAEL-MYERS-WOOD-SHELLEDY-HANNAH-GLOVER-SHANNON
JOHN C. COLLINS He is a farmer in Baltimore Twp. The Collins family came from Indiana to this county in 1850. Henry B. Collins, the father of our subject, was born in NY, and his wife, Catherine Shannon, in Pennsylvania. They were married in Ohio Co., IN where our subject, the eldest son, was born. His birth was followed by that of Adelia, wife of Robert Wood; William who wedded Rachel Bunker; George, husband of Ella Shelledy; Mary, wife of R. T. Wood; Julia, deceased, wife of Jonathan Bunker; Deborah J., wife of Stephen Shelledy; Olive B., wife of John Grubb; Margaret, wife of George Hannah, which comprised the family. Henry's children all reside in Henry Co., except for Mary who resides in Webster Co. When Henry came to this county he purchased 206 acres on Sect. 30, Baltimore Twp., on which his son George resides. Henry B. Collins died July 30, 1877, aged 68, and his widow died Apr. 26, 1886. Our subject was born Jan. 5, 1838, and married in 1859 to Miss Phoebe E. Kent of Lee County. She was born Nov. 22, 1842 in Montgomery Co., Ohio. Her parents are H. Tapley and Cynthia (Crossley) Kent. They came from Montgomery Co., OH in 1856 to Lee County. Her mother is still living in Cawker City, KS, and of their children, three sons and one daughter: William married Emma Glover; Theodore married Lizzie Carmichael; Ross is unmarried and resides in the West, and Phoebe is the wife of John Collins. Since his marriage, John has been a farmer four years in Lee County, one winter in KS, one in Mills Co., Iowa and the rest of his married life has been passed in Henry County. They have 8 children: Lucy M. wife of Adam Myers; William; Annie, Bertha, Tapley, Belle, Thurman and Frank. William is now a teacher in KS, and with Annie and Bertha completed a course at the Denmark Academy. Annie is now teaching in Cawker City, KS. In company with his brother George, a dairy was established on the H. B. Collins farm in June 1887. The capacity of the cheese factory is 150 pounds a day, and they are using fifty cows in the dairy.