I'm seeking information concerning the HUCKEBY/HUCKABY family of Perry County, Indiana.
My direct maternal third great-grandmother was Eliza Ellen HUCKEBY, born June 26, 1830; died August 16, 1901.Most records state her birth state as "Kentucky", but the 1850 census shows "Indiana."She died in Harrison County, Indiana, she is buried at the Old Mt. Zion Cemetery.
Eliza's first name shown as "Elizabeth" in some records.She was married three times.
Eliza married 1) Thomas LAMB (son of Solomon LAMB & Elizabeth SHEPHERD) onOctober 4, 1847, in Perry Co., IN.They were married by John J. LANG, MG.They had at least one child:
- George Wright LAMB, born November 20, 1848 in Perry Co., IN; died 1932 in Pocatello, Idaho.George married Eliza Marie COMBS on December 29, 1875.I have not verified these dates.
Thomas, Eliza, and their son George were listed in the 1850 census for Perry County.Thomas apparently died sometime between the 1850 census and 1857.
Eliza married 2) _______ SMITH, ca. 1855 probably in Perry County.They had at least one child:
- Charles E. SMITH, born April 18, 1857 in Perry Co., IN (per his marriage return); died May 23, 1926, in Harrison Co., IN.He married Anna M. HOTTLE on October 12, 1882, in Harrison Co., IN.
Charles' marriage return lists his parents as "Samuel SMITH & Elizabeth E. HUCKEBY."However, his death certificate shows his father's name as "John SMITH", his wife Anna was the informant.I have been unable to find a marriage license for Eliza Ellen (HUCKEBY) LAMB & (John/Samuel) SMITH in Perry County.
Presumably, Eliza and ______ SMITH moved to Harrison County, IN in the late 1850's.
Eliza married (as Ellen SMITH) 3) Isaac WATSON (son of Abraham WATSON & Ann ADAMS) on June 16, 1858, in Harrison Co., IN.They were married by Abraham BENNETT.They had at least eight children:
- Isaac WATSON, born March 16, 1859; died May 28, 1920.Never married.
- Anna M. WATSON, born November 20, 1860; died July 23, 1940.Married Samuel W. TINDALL, 1890.
- Ella WATSON, born November 5, 1862; died October 2, 1891.Never married.Buried at the Old Mt. Zion Cemetery.
- Infant (Son) WATSON, "Died May 19, 1865.Age 9 days."Buried at the Old Mt. Zion Cemetery.
- Joshua B. WATSON, born June 28, 1867; died February 6, 1936.Married Margaret E. KINTNER, 1888.
- Sarah J. WATSON, "Died September 23, 1869.Age 5 months, 21 days."Buried at the Old Mt. Zion Cemetery.
- William H. WATSON, "Died July 23, 1871.Age 4 months, 14 days."Buried at the Old Mt. Zion Cemetery.
- Emma Bell WATSON, born December 12, 1872; died January 27, 1947.Married Curry Lee MILLER on January 25, 1894.Curry & Emma are my second great-grandparents.
Eliza's husband, Isaac WATSON, "died June 9, 1872.age 50 years, 1 month, 21 days."Buried at the Old Mt. Zion Cemetery in southern Harrison County, IN.
Eliza's tombstone reads, "Eliza E. Watson.June 26, 1830.August 16, 1901."
There is also a "John, son of I. & E. E. Watson.Died September 6, 1863.Age 12 years, 4 months, 18 days."However, he cannot be a son of Isaac WATSON as Eliza didn't marry Isaac until 1858.
I believe that Eliza Ellen HUCKEBY (1830-1901) is a granddaughter of John HUCKEBY (1775-1827) & Frances Ann BRANNON (1781-1851).If this is correct, she is either the daughter of Thomas Huston (1800-1845), John, Jr. (1804-1852), or Joshua Brannon HUCKEBY (1802-1889), the three eldest sons of John and Frances HUCKEBY.
I have been unable to locate any additional information on Thomas Huston or John HUCKEBY.I don't know who they married, if they had children, or where they lived.
Their brother, Joshua Brannon HUCKEBY (1802-1889) married Rebecca LANG, 1824 in Perry County, IN.I think that Joshua & Rebecca had a daughter named Elizabeth.A DAR Lineage book (1919) apparently lists a "Elizabeth Huckeby" as a daughter of Joshua & Rebecca.However, that Elizabeth married a Louis/Lewis Lunsford BURKE.I have been unable to locate any information on this Elizabeth, the lineage book may be incorrect.
Eliza Ellen Huckeby (1830-1901) named one of her sons, Joshua B. WATSON, probably after Joshua Brannon HUCKEBY, who is either Eliza's father or her uncle.Eliza Ellen may be named after Joshua Brannon HUCKEBY's sister, Eliza Huston HUCKEBY (1818-1888) who married Samuel T. GROVES, 1836.
If anyone has information on the HUCKEBY family, please contact me.Additionally, if anyone had access to Perry County marriage records (1840's and 1850's), please let me know.I am uncertain, but think that "Thomas LAMB" and "Eliza HUCKEBY" had a marriage affidavit taken when they were married on October 4, 1847.If anyone had a book with Perry County marriage affidavits, please let me know.