From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883." page 322, Jackson Township, White County, Indiana.
"DAVID McCONAHAY was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, January 5, 1817, and moved with his father to Rush County in 1829, then to this county in the fall of 1833, but after a short sojourn returned to Rush County, where DAVID remained until 1835, when he came back to this county, locating in Big Creek Township. He taught the first school in what is now known as Liberty Township for eight terms. October 15, 1840, he married MISS SARAH, daughter of JAMES and REBECCA (BOYD) CROSE, born in this State (Indiana) August 15, 1825. He had born to him seven children, of whom three are now living - REBECCA J. MARY L. and SARAH M. In August, 1848, MR. McCONAHAY moved to this township and entered eighty acres of land, on which he resided twenty-seven years. He started in life a poor man, but by industry has acquired a competence, owning 124 acres of land and village lots valued at upward of $2,000. He now lives in retirement. At the age of fifteen, he joined the Methodist Church, but in 1850 changed to the Christian Church, of which his wife is also a member. He was soon licensed to preach, and in 1853 was ordained. He performed his clerical duties faithfully over twenty years, when failing health compelled him to withdraw. He is a Democrat in politics, and was elected County Assessor in 1849-50, and has since served as Township Trustee two terms and Assessor one term. He is an Odd Fellow and charter member of Lodge No. 556. His parents were JAMES and LOVINA McCONAHAY, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Maryland, and of Scotch-Irish and German extraction."