From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883." page 277, Prairie Township, White County, Indiana
"JERRY MURPHY is a native of Ireland, and is the son of DENNIS and MARY MURPHY, who came to America when JERRY was about eight years old, and settled in Delaware about 1853, in which State the father died; the mother died in this State (Indiana). JERRY became a resident of Indiana in 1854. In 1862, he bought eighty acres of his present farm, and in 1866 he was married, in Tippecanoe County, to MISS HARRIETTA McINTYRE, a native of Indiana, and daughter of BENJAMIN McINTYRE, who was in early life a physician, but who later cleared up a farm in Tippecanoe County, where he died in 1854. Immediately after marriage, MR. and MRS. MURPHY moved upon his farm in Section 18, this township, which he has increased to 300 acres. He raises about 2,500 bushels of corn per year, 700 to 800 bushels of wheat, some oats, seventy-five tons of hay, about seventy-five head of cattle, seventy-five to eighty hogs, and about thirteen horses. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and an Odd Fellow, and his wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Their three children are named HATTIE M. O., CHARLES D. and EDWARD."